Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Desingated SG deputy

MarshaD

To add to new guidance queries the deputy... I was thinking oh that's fine I have a deputy until it occurred to me that on Monday we are both going on a home visit so will both be out of the setting. Does that mean I now need a third person to cover this responsibility in such situations? I only have three full time members of staff as it is?

Yes I would imagine that you would need the third person to be trained. Myself and another staff member are both trained, but she does not work every day and I am now thinking about all the "what ifs" this presents. We are just booked onto our update training which is costing £120 am now thinking of the cost implications if we have to get someone else fully trained.

Don't get me wrong, I take our safeguarding responsibilities very seriously but these tweaks will have cost implications to all settings.

Our 3rd trained person has recently left so I was looking to get our other member of staff trained but now it seems myself and deputy must also update our training earlier. We are also a team of three. It is going to impact on staffing rotas. Numbers are lower in Autumn, especially the afternoons, so we use the lower paid staff to cover (level 3 of course). We are going to have to change this and I will have to be in until we can arange training. More expense. Also annoying is the amount of notice given for this change.

To add to new guidance queries the deputy... I was thinking oh that's fine I have a deputy until it occurred to me that on Monday we are both going on a home visit so will both be out of the setting. Does that mean I now need a third person to cover this responsibility in such situations? I only have three full time members of staff as it is?

are you able to change it so that you or your deputy stays as that would solve the problem?

we are lucky in that level 3 safeguarding is free in our area but level 2 is pricy!!!!!!

I always accompany key people on home visits - which essentially means that any time she has a new key child the situation will arise. It is a pain as I went on level three training again just last week before the term started so I potentially could have had someone else accompany me then too. Borough training isn't until February!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)