Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talk for writing

Hi all,

Is anyone familiar with 'talk for writing'? Sounds like a 'scheme' to me! Are am I just being dense???

Any points of reference would be fantastic!!!

Thanks

We've been using it across the school for quite a while. We use it with 'Signs for Story' too.

It is based on the idea that children need to internalise stories before they can understand the structure, so we have a text each term that we spend two weeks working on, telling the same story every day so the children know it well enough to join in and practically know it by heart. We do lots of work around the story, telling and retelling, and then use it as a basis for making up a different story.

For example one of our Year R texts is The Gingerbread Man, so we have a great couple of weeks in November doing all things Gingerbread (really cheers me up during the foggy days). We do lots of oral work, make lists, make gingerbread, write recipes, make a story map, write the story in a structured way and then finally write a new version using a different character - so we look at the Runaway Pancake and the Runaway Chapatti - and then decide who will feature in our class story.

It gives our children (99%EAL) a really strong idea of how stories work, so then they ave a framework to refer to when they begin to make up their own stories.

It works for us, and I think has just been relaunched as a Primary Project. If you Google Pie Corbett you'll find loads of info! If you get the chance to hear him speak, go - I haven't but colleagues who have say he's fantastic.

It's also just a strategy that the National Strategies developed where you use talk to think about what you want to write - really children have to have something to talk and write about before they can do so effectively so this slows down the leap into writing "cold" and allows for exploration of the text from different perspectives first.

Cx

One day I'm going to market some idea that's been around for years and make my millions too...

• Like 2

One day I'm going to market some idea that's been around for years and make my millions too...

not before me!!!

what always make me laugh is how many of these are written and presented by men ...yet I could count on one hand the amount of men I know in early years!

• Like 1

not before me!!!

what always make me laugh is how many of these are written and presented by men ...yet I could count on one hand the amount of men I know in early years!

Nah. Men are all teaching yr 6 so they can be leaders of the future.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)