radish Posted May 25, 2016 Posted May 25, 2016 Hi All, We have been lucky enough to have time within the working day for staff to complete their key children's notes/observations/planning etc. With staff shortages and our numbers increasing we are finding it increasingly difficult to do so this term and are looking at allowing staff to take the learning journeys etc home. We have been advised to risk assess this before they do. Does anyone have any risk assessments regarding records leaving the setting they would be willing to share? We do have a confidentiality agreement that we get staff to sign annually, would this be sufficient or do you get staff to sign something else? Thanking you in anticipation Radish
catma Posted May 25, 2016 Posted May 25, 2016 If they don't have any critical data in them is it an issue - if you are just writing up observations and the like? Cx 1
zigzag Posted May 25, 2016 Posted May 25, 2016 We take learning journeys home to update but do not have a risk assessment for it. The only strict rule that I have is that they HAVE to be returned the very next day to be on the premises when we are in session time. I think it goes without saying that I would also expect that they are kept confidential when in their homes. 2
SDPlaygroup Posted May 26, 2016 Posted May 26, 2016 We don't have time to breath at the moment let alone do paperwork but when I raised this with our EYIO she said it was a definite no no and to do so you have to have written permission from OFSTED to take records off the premises. The criteria is ridiculously tricky to comply with so we decided against asking for permission.
thumperrabbit Posted May 26, 2016 Posted May 26, 2016 We don't have time to breath at the moment let alone do paperwork but when I raised this with our EYIO she said it was a definite no no and to do so you have to have written permission from OFSTED to take records off the premises. The criteria is ridiculously tricky to comply with so we decided against asking for permission. I always took the Ofsted requirement of 'children's records' to be things like registration forms or any paperwork from other agencies working with the child,accident forms etc not their Learning Journey?
eyfs1966 Posted May 26, 2016 Posted May 26, 2016 We don't have time to breath at the moment let alone do paperwork but when I raised this with our EYIO she said it was a definite no no and to do so you have to have written permission from OFSTED to take records off the premises. The criteria is ridiculously tricky to comply with so we decided against asking for permission. i do not believe that's entirely correct. You actually need Ofsted's permission to KEEP records off the premises. 3
korkycat Posted May 26, 2016 Posted May 26, 2016 We get parental permission at registration to work on Learning journeys at home. We promise confidentiality and as they are all postive comments - can do rather than can't! - I don't see a problem. After all school teachers regularly take vast amounts of perwork on children home and have always done so. I emailed ofsted about this a couple of years ago and I got reply that it would be looked at and never heard anything after. I took that as it was OK ! korkycat 2
SDPlaygroup Posted May 26, 2016 Posted May 26, 2016 You are absolutely right Forum Gardener, thank you - when I trawled back through all the paperwork she sent through the top paragraph does state "to keep", but she has always said no to taking folders home, a situation I have inherited.
catma Posted May 26, 2016 Posted May 26, 2016 Well I have to say as a teacher the only way I could manage 56 sets of records was to take them home! Cx 3
FSFRebecca Posted May 27, 2016 Posted May 27, 2016 You might perhaps be interested in a safeguarding protocol document I have put in the resource library this morning. It is not definitive by any means but it does give you clear pointers about the issues and considerations you should address when allowing staff to access any information, at home or otherwise, with or without Tapestry. You can read it here.
Recommended Posts