Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Software For Wages and Invoices

We have a financial worker who does our wages, i.e. I tell her how many hours we have done, and 10 minutes later she e-mails me the amounts to be paid. I just received her bill yesterday and for 3 staff, it was £400 for the year. Not sure if this is reasonable or not. Like with most things (except funding) it has gone up....she originally charged £5 per member of staff and it is now £9 something.

Does anyone use a programme to do wages? We only need something for a few members if staff.

Also, is there a programme or software for invoices you would recommend? We are a small pre-school with 30 children.

Thanks

On Caits recommendation (and after being left in a right old mess in the middle of the financial year) I did a trial of Payroll manager (Moneysofts payroll software) and quickly realised how easy and good it is. I have 8 staff and it costs me £72 per year and is worth every single penny.

As said we had been left in quite a mess with wages and HMRC and they were so helpful on the phone- even though none of the mess was to do with them. But like you I used to work out the hours worked and salaries earnt each month and pass onto our 'treasurer' who then came back and told me what to pay everyone and HMRC, I also printed off payslips. So I figured I may as well do it all myself. Really, I would never go back to someone else doing it, Payroll Manager is so good. It will even update itself when needs be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We use Sage 50 payroll, but it costs us £37 per month, although I'm wondering if we should look into Moneysofts now at that price! HMRC also do a free payroll package if you are below 9 members of staff I think.

I use sage Payroll. I only have five staff so costs about £6 per month. Although having just had a look at pricing they reckon £2.50 for five employees, £5 for 10 and £7.50 for 15 (all plus VAT) so think I'm being overcharged!!! Helpline very good - 24hrs. HMRC payroll tools offer webinars etc so also looks ok.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. Our financial worker has decided to retire this month, so we need to move forward now. For those of you using Payroll manager are we better to wait and start it in April or is it easy to start anytime?

I started using Payroll in a November and its been fine. As long as you copy the information over correctly and (and this is a big one) ensure you use the same payroll numbers for individuals as your previous one.

We had a Treasurer change everyones payroll numbers from one piece of software to the next and it got all staff in a dreadful mess six months down the line with HMRC. Took ages and numerous letters/phone calls to sort

Edited by lynned55

Hello,

I'm relatively new to the forum as a practitioner and a Treasurer but have you looked at payroo for wages? Payroo is an online package approved by HMRC does RTI and for those with small work forces (I think less than 6) free. If you need help with calculating holiday pays Tec, also Gov.uk is really straightforward.