Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspections within 12 months following RI

janrob1

Hi

Following a downgrading to RI inspection in June '15, and having had a complaint about it upheld by Ofsted and everything that entailed, plus our local EY's saying we should challenge Ofsted on our next inspection( I will not do this of course!) has anyone any advice about how these inspections go after a downgrade ? I expect the inspection anytime in the 11th month as it was an admin issue rather than child/practice is this sounding about right ? Thanks.

It will be a level playing field - the inspectors will want to know how you have changed your practice since the last inspection and what the impact of the changes have been.

Make sure you know the inspection handbook inside out (see yesterday's article, it's on the front page)

Make sure you think about everything in terms of cause and effect so: 'we changed ..... and now .... which means .... for the children'. You will see in the grade descriptors at the back of the inspection handbook that inspectors want to see IMPACT. It's no good having told all the staff about safeguarding - do they understand it? do they know what to do? I agree that you should challenge inspectors if what you are seeing on the day doesn't conform exactly to the specifications set out in the handbook - which is why you need to know it inside out! Good luck

We were given RI in Feb 15 but at the new inspection in March 16 the inspector said she wasn't there to see how we'd managed the action points from 2015 because the framework had changed in September 16. She was there 1 year later by chance. I expect that's how it will be for you too.

• 1 year later...

I have just been RI too...I am confused and upset but can see what went wrong. Does anyone know if the funding is pulled straight away? I have emailed LA the rating and I am waiting to see what they will say.

If they take the funding the nursery will close and everyone out of a job Ofsted said theyd be back in 6months whilst we change a few thing how will we do this without the funding.

I am not so sure about the level playing field either. Just hit all the points they want and make it better. It also depend who you get walk through the door. The process is flawed by nature. Also the good suffer for the bad...When I trained as an inspector I saw the politics behind it and I saw with my own eyes and inspector grade differently because the other setting had an 'Outstanding'!

When it comes to SG I understand why there needs to be the fuss....but mostly its about the inspectors likes and dislikes I think. ANd where they like the cold or not or whther like english speaker etc etc the list goes on.

The fact is it is much harder to get a good these days...for lots of reasons. So if you got one congrats...If not dont give up!

I have just been RI too...I am confused and upset but can see what went wrong. Does anyone know if the funding is pulled straight away? I have emailed LA the rating and I am waiting to see what they will say.

If they take the funding the nursery will close and everyone out of a job Ofsted said theyd be back in 6months whilst we change a few thing how will we do this without the funding.

I had RI in December 14 and share your feelings of being upset and confused. However, I knew we were good and set about making sure the next inspection showed it. We were reinspected 11 months later (different inspector which i was told is the norm) and got 'good' Withdrawal of funding was not mentioned at any time by OFSTED or our LEA - i seem to remember that was more for inadequate ratings.

Hi toni

your LA will have a local code you will have signed that will tell you what happens when you get RI or I inspection, but they may not do anything until the outcome is published.. at this point your report has still to go through the QA process and is therfore not finalised.

Broadly speaking funding is suspended so you won't receive funding straight away for next term and will not be able to take 2 yr funded children. The LA won't act on any funding though until the outcome comes through to them

if you have an enforcement, you probably already know what it is and can act on it immediately. You will be given a date by which time you have to put it right. Other actions eg for learning and development you will need to unpick and get as much support as you can from your LA.

I would strongly recommend you have a read of the ofsted compliance and enforcement handbook.

Lots of help and experience here once you know exactly what you have to work on.

• Like 1

I am not so sure about the level playing field either. Just hit all the points they want and make it better. It also depend who you get walk through the door. The process is flawed by nature. Also the good suffer for the bad...When I trained as an inspector I saw the politics behind it and I saw with my own eyes and inspector grade differently because the other setting had an 'Outstanding'!

I disagree here - All inspectors are applying the inspection handbook requirements and you can clearly see what they are 'judging' on, you can also see the grade descriptors for every different judgement. If you feel the inspection was not carried out according to the Inspection handbook you can raise that during the inspection and it will be noted in the evidence pack. I don't think Ofsted have a political agenda - they just inspect the Statutory Framework. I would say that if you have such concerns of a political nature you should raise it during the inspection - firstly with the inspector and then with Ofsted, you can speak to them during an inspection. I don't think "The process is flawed by nature".

Ok.

Well people have different experiences and have different views. I thought this platform allowed that my apologies. I guess there is a system of how they do things and even if I had got a GOOD, i still would have something to say about it....but thats just me. While training as an Inspector I bared witness to those flaws I am afraid.

I guess it is true people say you have always got something to say when you dont get what you want to hear.

Personally I think most systems of process are flawed by nature as we are human!

I am happy with disagreeing as everyone has their own views. I find it amazing you are able to speak for ALL inspectors. Nevermind its nothing hard work and commitment can not fix I say.....We know what we need to work on so hey. I guess we will see.

And for the record I did speak during the inspecting ....it depends on side of the table you sit on. Thats why its call experience everyone perception is different.

I have always tried my best....and it obviously was not good enough. I will do my best to sort things again for the people that work there and parents that need that place. Life sometimes takes its toll i guess and this is not an easy career.

No excuses... just do better...the fear I felt going through that was like nothing before and five years ago it was not like that for me... thats partly because of the experience i have had and things i have seen during the time.

I mean..... still do not know how I would have been able to be there for both settings while the inspections were happening at the same time, especially when Ofsted were aware that I managed them both...but I dont know i think that was a little harsh. Which most defo put alot of pressure on mine and the teams performance that day...considering that was its first time being inspected.

JUST near perfect next time I guess...well that is what we are aiming for before they come lol....if we are still open :( by then.

Edited by Tonib123

Ok.

Well people have different experiences and have different views. I thought this platform allowed that my apologies. I guess there is a system of how they do things and even if I had got a GOOD, i still would have something to say about it....but thats just me. While training as an Inspector I bared witness to those flaws I am afraid.

I guess it is true people say you have always got something to say when you dont get what you want to hear.

Personally I think most systems of process are flawed by nature as we are human!

I am happy with disagreeing as everyone has their own views. I find it amazing you are able to speak for ALL inspectors. Nevermind its nothing hard work and commitment can not fix I say.....We know what we need to work on so hey. I guess we will see.

And for the record I did speak during the inspecting ....it depends on side of the table you sit on. Thats why its call experience everyone perception is different.

No need to apologise, we often disagree with each other on the forum :1b We have people from all different backgrounds and experiences who bring their much valued opinions to the discussion. One thing we make sure of though is that people understand the processes that are applied - as an ex-inspector you have a particular insight into that. I'm interested to hear what happened when you raised your concerns during the inspections and felt they were not heeded by your inspectors, did you raise them with Ofsted HQ during the inspection or are you now going to lodge an official complaint?

I'm sorry if you thought I was judging you personally, that wasn't my intention - only, as I have said above, to point out the processes for all our members, some of whom don't have the professional experience that you have. :1b

Hi toni

as Rebecca said, we often disagree here so don't feel that your differing view is in any way not allowed, sometimes a difference if opinion creates a really good debate and reflection.

Anyway that aside, I just wanted to pick up on your point about managing both settings and you not being able to be in two places at once? So I'm wondering what happens day to day because you can't be in both settings at the same time? So when you are not there you must have a strong Co manager or deputy who you trust to manage in your absence. In this case OFSTED would expect that person to be able to hold the inspection because they are responsible on the days you are not there. I just wonder if this is something you might look at if you don't currently have that strong person in place in both nurseries. In my experience, when a really good manager opens a second or third setting and continues to be manager of all, then they can end up spreading themselves too thinly and can take their eye of the ball. It's hard enough managing one let alone two. And it's hard keeping all the balls in the air at the same time...twice.

so as part of your reflections, looking at what was brought up by your inspection team, perhaps looking at your management teams and what skills they might need to develop for you all to move on from this point.

• Like 2