Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Struggling to replace leaving Supervisor

Does anyone know what happens if your Supervisor leaves, and you are unable to find a replacement? How long can you remain open? We've never been in this situation of having to replace the supervisor before and it's looking likely that she will have worked her notice before we have anyone new in as there have been no appliccations. Feeling very stressed.

Are there any particularly good paces to advertise a role?

We have other jobs advertised and have interest in those, but no-one wants to take on the supervisor role.

Where have you tried? Supermarkets, job centres, church magazines, own newsletter, online job sites?

It's a tricky one, do none of the remaining staff want the role? Isn't there a deputy?

We have advertised on our own website, on an on-line agency, local shops,village facebook page and am about to put on the county council job page.

Unfortunately the deputy doesn't want the role and only wants to step up for a short while and none of the other staff are interested either. I think they've witnessed what hard work it is!

You could advertise on the local county council site.

Do you have a Deputy who would be willing to step up to that level? and another practitioner who would be confident to take on the Deputy role?

The deputy has agreed to act up on a very temporary basis, but doesn't want to remain in the role for long.

Where are you based and are you committee led? You should already have a named person who can act up in the supervisor's absence and perhaps that is what will have to happen until you find someone to take on the role!

We are in Surrey, and yes we are committee led, we have a deputy, but she isn't actually keen on being the Supervisor and doesn't want to act up for long.

Oh dear - do you have any other staff qualified to level 3 who would consider a job share perhaps or consider taking over the supervisory role? One of my roles within my business is to manage a committee led pre-school for 2 days each week with the deputy acting as manager on the 3 days that I am not there. It works really well, we have defined admin roles so we are clear on what we need to do but either of us can manage the day to day running of the setting. Also I am only ever a phone call away if I'm needed for anything. It also means that as the registered manager the over all responsibility is still mine, I then work elsewhere offering a consultancy service. I think for the deputy, it gives her the security of knowing that she has someone to go to if and when needed!

A job share could be effective in that "two heads are better than one" sense and using the individual strengths of the two individuals to carry out the role as a whole.

Don't worry about how long you can stay open for without your supervisor - you just need to keep everyone informed of what is happening. If you haven't replaced the supervisor before your existing one leaves, you would notify Ofsted that your deputy or whoever was acting up until a replacement is found. I am assuming that your supervisor is not the nominated person - if she is it will be slightly different in that some one else will have to take on that role! At my preschool the chair person is the nominated person and so this isn't an issue!

Good luck with it all!

Oh dear - do you have any other staff qualified to level 3 who would consider a job share perhaps or consider taking over the supervisory role? One of my roles within my business is to manage a committee led pre-school for 2 days each week with the deputy acting as manager on the 3 days that I am not there. It works really well, we have defined admin roles so we are clear on what we need to do but either of us can manage the day to day running of the setting. Also I am only ever a phone call away if I'm needed for anything. It also means that as the registered manager the over all responsibility is still mine, I then work elsewhere offering a consultancy service. I think for the deputy, it gives her the security of knowing that she has someone to go to if and when needed!

A job share could be effective in that "two heads are better than one" sense and using the individual strengths of the two individuals to carry out the role as a whole.

Don't worry about how long you can stay open for without your supervisor - you just need to keep everyone informed of what is happening. If you haven't replaced the supervisor before your existing one leaves, you would notify Ofsted that your deputy or whoever was acting up until a replacement is found. I am assuming that your supervisor is not the nominated person - if she is it will be slightly different in that some one else will have to take on that role! At my preschool the chair person is the nominated person and so this isn't an issue!

Good luck with it all!

Hi, thanks for the reply. No-body else is interested, but maybe it's something we can put to them as there is another member of staff who I think would be very good as the Supervisor, and maybe it would be of more interest to her if it were a job share. Mind you, they are both there every day, so not sure how that would work in splitting up responsibilities and them not "stepping on each others toes".

She isn't our nominated person, so at least we don't have to worry about that, will just have to let them know what is occurring and work out covering the Supervisor from a ratio point of view!

Edited by kiddywink