Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

what to do next?

flowlow

HI all

I have finally decided that I can no longer continue at the setting I am currently manager of. It is time to move on. It has all, as usual, got rather complicated, wont bore you all with that :P I am sure you can all imagine.

Anyway long and the short of it I am leaving at Easter, not what I originally planned but it is what it is. So I now have an interesting dilemma.

I am incredibly passionate about early years and I don't want to leave the sector so to speak, but I also don't want to just go and work for another nursery. Yes partly that might be from having been a manager I am not sure how I would feel working to someone else's rules/ ways of doing things. However I also feel this might not be right for me, at least not for a while.

So that leaves me thinking what to do now? like I said I love early years and looking for a new challenge, I do a little practitioner teaching so I know I could expand that, although I guess not technically early years.

anyone else in a similar position?

Good luck from me too.

Not sure where you but there does seem to be a growing consultancy sector would that be of interest?

Also there are so many children who need speech & language support could you run small groups from home? Not sure how to go about that but a thought?

• Like 2

I hope that you are happy with your choice, and that it has been your choice!

So much of what is on offer out there is out there depends on how much you want/need to earn. And if you need to have a regular income.

There is a growing sector in Early years Help service, the money is not great but so much good can be done.

Doing an A1 course will allow you to become a trainer/assessor in early years, this involves quite a lot of traveling around, as do early years jobs for local authorities but the money is better.

Ofsted inspector is a bit hit and miss with hours and people often have it as a secondary job.

Setting up independent groups such as parent teachers, baby signing etc... can really pay off but you need about 1 year of making a bit of a loss before you are able to grow groups to a size that can pay for rent and eventually staff to help.

Other independent set ups like a nanny agency, or early years bank staff agency or childminder lead service.

Or Schools.

I wish you well for the future and would love to hear what you decide to do in the end, might give us all some options, lol.

Thank you guys!

Early years consultancy was a thought although most of it down my way is provided by LEA for free so not sure quite how that would work, LEA have been cutting down as well so not sure there are even 'jobs' going to apply for. Not given up on it yet, just wondering if there is space for me independently? or how else to go about it.

I am not sure I know what you mean by Early Years Help Service itsallaboutthechildren? again around me we have children's centre and LEA support but not sure if you mean something different?

I am not so bothered about the money I mean I need to pay my bills but to be fair wasn't getting paid well in the job I had :P I just really want to do something that makes a difference. That has real impacts for children and families and communities, grass roots level and that makes a difference. Preferably not too constrained by government policy :ph34r:!!!

I do feel bit scared but mostly excited, feels like my time for a real opportunity but just wish I had some concrete ideas!! :blink:

I will keep thinking and searching and will let you know

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...