Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Parents And How To Cope With Them!

Deb

Would like to hear what you think about a bit of problem we have at the moment.

We have a small room, additional to the main playroom, where historically parents have been allowed to wait when dropping off or collecting children if is it raining.

Lately parents have been using this room if it is 'cold' outside.

We have now asked parents only to use the room when it is raining because

* children can be couped up for 5 to 10 minutes in quite a small space when they would really benfit from running around outside in the fresh air to let off steam before they come in. They would certainly go outside later in the session, with no ill effects.

* sometimes they leave toys on the floor for the somebody to clear up

* staff are unable or have difficulty gaining access to resources, photocopier, storage

* staff feel under pressure to let children in early under the watchful gaze of some parents

* a temporary register is taken at the back door usually by a member of staff who has a double duty of ensuring no children escape. If children are already in the building they enter the main room at which point the member of staff is trying to do the register and watch the back door from a distance. No other staff are available for deployment.

Parents want to come in even when it is not really cold outside, because their children have got colds, or it is cold.

Are we being unreasonable?

Deb :o

At school we only let the parents and children in early if it is raining. We are having a shelter built shortly so they will not have early access at all then! (Only exceptions being accidents or urgent need for toilet).

If parents are wanting to come in early because it is cold they should leave home a little bit later :o

we just lock ours out, if i think about it and its pouring i might unlock the door a few minutes earlier.... xD  :o

45764[/snapback]

We used to lock ours out too unless the weather was really bad then we'd open the door 10 mins early but our new head has bowed to parental pressure and we open our door early no matter the weather :( As we are a foundation stage unit this can mean 60+ parents and children milling in the entrance an absolute nightmare to oversee :(

we too lock the door until just before we open, but this can be a bit earlier in the mornings as we open 15 mins after the school, but the children never come into the pre-school area until opening time. we inform them we are only registered to take children between certain hours and could be closed if we take children out of hours, we add that we are not insured as well!!

If they come early to collect and it is wet or cold we just blame Ofsted!!! (they do have thier uses)

we cannot allow anyone to stay on the premises while the children are in our care without a CRB check...safety of their children etc. Seems to work for us. (Not being part of a school has its benefits!)

Inge

We too use Ofsted and insurance as our reason for not letting them in. The door is locked each day until 07:30 without exception. They all drive to nursery so i see no reason why they cannot wait in their cars until opening time

Why not add a toaster to your resources and charge them for the privilage of a breakfast club :o

Appoint a parent to the back door and ask them to tell you when they are leaving. First one in gets door duty xD

There is a balance between meeting parents needs and getting on with the job of preparing for the sessions. I agree with other comments, rather than giving out "rules" of entry, why not, in your next newsletter describe the considerations you have to deal with and ask the parents to come up with their own ideas of how their needs can be met with regard to early entry, ask them how they would suggest you maintain safety at these times.

Peggy

I have a small entrance area that if I remember to open the outside doors they can use to shelter from the really bad weather. I always thought that being a parent meant that you had to get used to standing in the rain :oxD:D as it always rains at school times. The quicker they get used to it the better, they have alot of years to do it for. (the parents I mean). If parents dressed their children appropriately there shouldn't be a problem. :( I always quote insurance or Ofsted for the reason's of not letting them in early, but there are always some that use the excuse of needing the toilet to get in early, I never know if its the mum or the children that need the loo :(:( . I agree with Peggy there has to be a balance between parents needs and setting up ready. I also use the reason that I will not be able to open the doors to the majority, if I'm having to look after one child because of staff deployment. Don't let parent pressure change what you know is the right thing to do.

Guest MaryEMac

Our playgroup also keeps the doors locked until 9 o'clock unless it is pouring. My reasons are that there are only 2 members of staff in the playgroup til at least 8.55, as other members of staff have to see their children into school and the bell doesn't go til then. We also use insurance and so far nobody has questioned it.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)