Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Really blooming annoyed!

I just need to get this off my chest...

We have had a boy (and his twin brother) with us since September 2014 and have done all we can with zero funding to support his additional needs (eventually diagnosed with ASD this summer).

We FINAL have some additional funding, and I have recruited an additional member of staff so we can give him 1:1 time every day, as recommended by our inclusion team - she started today then this evening I get an email to tell me...

They're leaving us on Friday to go to another setting.

Apart from being very annoyed, especially at the lack of information and notice, I'm really going to miss them!

Anyway, just needed to vent to people who get it!

I just know how you feel. The same thing happened to us. All you can do is remind yourself that you did the best you could while the children were with you. Your input is really going to help the children. Have you asked the parents the reason? It might be something simple . Our child left us because they became a 3 year old funded child in April and I could not provide the 15 hours until the September.

• Like 1

This happened to us this term. Council gave us two weeks pay for the 1 to 1 and said the member of staff should be on a two week notice period.

I just think the parent thought all the problems would vanish if they went to another setting and didn't mention a thing about it.

Yes it can be very frustrating and worrying also. We can only do the best job possible for every child and if parents can't accept this diagnoses or simply just want to avoid the issue then what more can we do? Yes it makes you want to help the parent's but is this our place if they are simply running away?

We had the same thing a few years ago with a new child of ours who clearly showed signs of ASD and as soon as we mentioned we suspect it, she took him out after just 3 weeks with us. Apparently she keeps moving from area to area with her child! Maybe they hope their child will simply grow out of it?! It can't be an easy thing to accept and it's such a shame for children who could have had the help that in turn usually really helps both child and parents to cope much better.

How annoying and upsetting. Do you not have a notice period?

Yes, although as they are fully funded, there's nothing stopping them just upping and leaving really. The place at the new setting became available quickly and they feel both boys will get good support there ('but thanks for all you have done...') There's no issue with them accepting his diagnosis. It's just that they were aiming to go to the local school, but it's not going to be suitable for his needs, so they needed an alternative and this one just happens to have nursery places available (they would have gone in September if they'd have got into the local school, but didn't live in the catchment then!)