Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre-school home agreement document

I have been focusing on our parents in partnership strengths and was wondering how many settings have a Pre-school home agreement? I have produced a draft, and thinking it might be a good document to have in place, our manager has been looking at local pre-school ofsted reports and one has action points to improve partnership with parents. I have a few ideas but need some feedback on this, thank you in advance. :)

Here i go again promoting Tapestry (or equivalent programs) but it can be a VERY useful tool for this parent partnership. You can add relatives to the program and they can see their child's learning journal and they can leave comments and have an input.

As far as home visits for before a child starts at our setting, this is something we are just implementing and that we have found hard to put into place for a few years. Our obstacles being staff ratios and allowing the time for staff to be away from the setting and also having the confidence to do these home visits. I do understand how it can help to familiarize a child to this potential Key worker, and it's nice to see how the child plays and learns in their home environment, but i also feel it's a little intrusive and not that important if you have other things in place.

The other thing in place are things like Tapestry and getting parents to share their experiences from home or when they go out. This is not intrusive and you can gather much more information over the time they are with you and can be ongoing.

Sorry if i misinterpreted the Home Agreement Document, but this is my idea.

• Like 1

Broad oaks , we have just introduced home visits this year and it really is beneficial , the children have settled more quickly , we feel we have gained parents trust quickly and we have made them very friendly . Myself and Deputy attended , we did some in the first week of September whilst setting was closed and did 2 yesterday .

Tapestry is great for parent partnerships I agree but regarding home preschool agreement twin thing , I take it this would be something your parents would sign. And there would be bullet points : ie engage with child's keerson to ensure best outcome for child etc but this may be ok in writing but not all parents may engage in this.

Do you have a parental involvement policy ? This make work better ? I quoted ours when asking for volunteers to help in the garden as wanted some newbies not the same people who always offer , I used the line how it will give them as parents an input into their child's learning environment

• Like 1

thanks for the replies, we don't have a parental involvement policy although the agreement I wrote sort of does become that when they sign it I suppose lol

had a meeting with my manager and she likes the idea, she particularity likes the part i added about looking after journals when they are at the family home! we actually received one back that a dog had peed on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hosting a short parents meeting to ask parents to contribute to the document and then when we have a final draft, we will roll it out.

Edited by twinthinguk
  • Like 1

Ours was more of a parent setting agreement..we included things we would do as well, so while looking after the journals by parents our part would be something like to ensure they were always up to date and available when asked for..

We felt it balanced it out so it did not look like a list of demands and that we were not in partnership.. needed to offer our bit too..

Ours was part of our registration process.. and included things like

collecting on time/ opening on time,

payments.

behaviour of parent to staff - this is what caused us to introduce it- fed up with being shouted at and ranted at by one parent.. meant I could ban her from the building - worked as she stopped ,

• Like 1

yikes! being ranted at by a parent is not nice! I wonder if I can stick a point about paying fees on time! I left that one off! :) yes ours is a good balance between what we will do and what we ask parents to do... such as bring your child to preschool on time and ready to play with spare clothes and a water bottle, all obvious things really.

• Like 1