Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

time off in lieu (toil)

blondie

I think I might try this .........I could have next year off lol

Be warned... :wacko: .... I tried this- and it kinda back fired- I added all my extra hours up, however there was never a 'good' time to have off, and then it complicated as I then needed to carry it over to the next year !!!

I never got the time off and it just made me realise just how much time I give for free :(:( (and I only added up the essential work I do in my own time- so nowhere near the true actual hours worked)

However that said we do do it for staff training if they attend them on non-working days. We are term-time preschool so not to much organising and we do it ad-hoc really.

even if it's only reading it never ends ....I'm ok if actually busy doing something else at home, but can't just sit and watch tv or read anymore without feeling I should be doing something work related ...as I type this I'm also scribbling notes to amend our admissions policy :-(

we are term time to and it would be hard to find them toil that didn't mean I'd have to cover them, so we just pay overtime as it's earnt.

• 2 weeks later...

We are an all year round nursery. Staff can claim overtime for anything worked over their shift that is over 15 minutes. We don't give for the first 15 minutes to stop people loitering around chatting just to try and squeeze 10 minutes OT every day.

They also have to get their time sheet signed at the end of every day if OT is being claimed so that a member of management can check the extra time they have done was needed to cover ratios

It's easier for me to give the time back as we are all year round and the holiday periods are always quieter so I allocate it on ad hoc basis during these times. If they leave with OT owing they get paid for it so I try to keep banked time to a minimum where possible

I currently have 189 hours logged that I need to take back, but that's not going to happen. I always give it to the staff first and then try to fit mine in as and when I can, which is pretty much never :-|