• discovery/investigating area
  • physical play
  • playdough table
  • role play area
  • fine motor skills table
  • letters and sounds table
  • construction area
  • small world
  • other area (often pse based activities like games)

Hope that helps :1b

Edited by klc106

ok so no competing with KLC!!

we too have lots of space.....!

usually.....

role play

home corner

small world

art/creative

2 year old area

snack station

discovery

construction

book corner

games/puzzles (literacy and numeracy!)

then we have two free spaces given over to interests or needs of the cohort....often fine motor and something cooperative but can be just about anything!!!

we repeat similar pattern outside depending on needs

In our preschool room we have the following areas:

Block play/small world/loose parts

Role play

Snack Cafe

Messy play area/ Art/creative area

Book/quiet corner

Computer table

Mark making table

We then also have one area which constantly changes according to what the children are interested in.

Outside is different, as is our toddler room

Can I use this thread to ask how people plan / set up their outdoor areas?

Do you have different 'zones' like your indoor space and if so how are these separated? Are children able to choose and access their own resources or do adults set up a restricted choice and if so how do you choose? Any info gratefully appreciated - our area for improvement!

look at this with interest as we always set up differently in september from july and seem to readjust as the term goes along- does anyone have a plan we can look at for ideas?

do you use lots of tables or not - if not what do you use? find that we sometimes use more tables than at other times -my former advisory teacher used to say "no to tables for activities" but i said some children do like and want tables and not all want to be on the floor -she said children like the floor and need to lay/sit on the floor - i just said we will agree to disagree.

having had to do some sorting out on my computer I now am having trouble linking anything..... :angry:

I will try to sort out my plan for the outdoors so that you can see but it is really just a table of boxes to fill in as we go!!!

you might want to look up freedomtolearn.co.uk and watch their you tube video of setting up their outside area.....food for thought! (Anna Ephgraves school!)

As to tables we try to go for lots of things at different levels so we have lots of different sized tables too from coffee tables to huge dining ones which we use for art. Lying on the floor to paint and draw helps to strengthen wrist and elbow pivots for writing so it is useful but we mix it up all the time.....although we rarely have more than two activities with tables and chairs set up. We also use the tops of bookcases and units to play at.

Can I use this thread to ask how people plan / set up their outdoor areas?

Do you have different 'zones' like your indoor space and if so how are these separated? Are children able to choose and access their own resources or do adults set up a restricted choice and if so how do you choose? Any info gratefully appreciated - our area for improvement!

we only have a small outside area - top area is bark area and the bottom is covered by paving slabs

we set up our outdoor area in areas although they aren't separated by anything - we put out different resources each day in the same area so children know where to access these.this means that the small world might be farm or dolls house etc.,construction could be duplo, stickle bricks etc.,physical could be bikes etc or could be large community playthings blocks or balls,hoops etc - (we dont have the space to have all at the same time) and so on.

the constants are always a cosy area with toys and books, musical instruments with scarves and ribbons, sand tray(although resources change depending whether dry or wet sand)

although we set up the resources so they are ready for the children we are flexible so if children want trains and we have farm out we tidy away farm together and get out the trains

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)