Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Making Spaces in Packaway setting?

Hi

We are a packaway preschool in a shared-use hall - absolutely everything must go away at the end of the session. I would like to have an area for the children, but in particular our 4 year olds to be able to do more focused activities (we've not had 4 year olds before!) and wondered if anyone has any suggestions for dividers that are easy to move and store - and don't take up much room?

We don't have a huge budget, but might be able to get some funding from our local village trust.

Thanks!

We use plastic screens from costcutters (I think) I think they were about £170 for three panels.

The short height, we brought 6 panels - 3 low and 3 taller, and in the end we (well my husband!) cut down the taller ones.

We also have the taller one for Information displays (Ofsted insurance etc)

We strap them together with Velcro strips rather than use the 'clips' they provide as we can then zig-zag them and fold them flat for storage.

Also don't bother with the 'feet' sold separately- we just balance them on the floor at an angle.

We find them invaluable and are about to order more - they are so light-weight we can move them quickly and easily during the session. They are great for den making too :1b :1b

• Like 1

guess what I might suggest??.............................Community Playthings :) they are easy to put up, easy to take down.......there are clear panels so you can see through and plain ones so you can't.

Owhh, I might have to look at those, the children do love a clear panel xDxD

Ours are extremely lightweight though, one person can easily move 6 panels in one go...... I guessing the CP are possibly a lot more 'substantial' ?

Can you not use existing furniture to make a space? I used to use shelves on wheels to hold resources but also to divide up the room. Also home corner furniture etc. Just means you have less to pack away at the end of the day! Might not work for your set up though.

I'm always on the look out for the perfect solution for packaway problems - particularly storage issues, I get so excited when suggestions pop up on Pinterest but 9 times out of 10 they are always American and we don't seem to have such good CHEAP suppliers here.

We are going to try using display boards to make areas in September.

the CP ones are light enough to shift easily and robust enough to withstand a charging rhino :)

Well we certainly have plenty of rhinos!,

...and interesting enough a heard of them are actually called a 'crash' (I just looked it up - how very apt! xDxD :lol: )

I love CP but they aren't cheap! And yes, I know they're durable and will last forever, but I think I'd like to find a cheaper solution first so I know it works, then we have some evidence with which to approach our benefactors!

Louby Lou, would you have a link I could look at for your panels please?

A very cheap and simple solution is attaching material to the back of chairs or existing furniture...you can make really good cosy corners! The other option is to have four poles (or more) in buckets (concreted in) then you can attach material to them with pegs(or add hooks to the top) very flexible space makers

• Like 2

A very cheap and simple solution is attaching material to the back of chairs or existing furniture...you can make really good cosy corners! The other option is to have four poles (or more) in buckets (concreted in) then you can attach material to them with pegs(or add hooks to the top) very flexible space makers

We have the poles in buckets to - quick drying cement with a bit of plastic pipe to make the hole. We add (my husband adds!!) a loop of thick rope into the mixture to make handles for easier handling when packing away. We then add whatever length pole needed - we also use these for the Christmas tree- good sturdy base!

We have the poles in buckets to - quick drying cement with a bit of plastic pipe to make the hole. We add (my husband adds!!) a loop of thick rope into the mixture to make handles for easier handling when packing away. We then add whatever length pole needed - we also use these for the Christmas tree- good sturdy base!

Asda do really cheap tubtrugs which work well too!!

I love CP but they aren't cheap! And yes, I know they're durable and will last forever, but I think I'd like to find a cheaper solution first so I know it works, then we have some evidence with which to approach our benefactors!

Louby Lou, would you have a link I could look at for your panels please?

Nowhere near as nice looking as the CP ones, but they are very light and easy to move in and out daily. And cheap too.

http://www.costcuttersuk.com/childrens-coloured-room-divider-panels-set-4

We turned this size sideways- so its long and low. We have attached fabric with Velcro to some of ours (children's tie-dyeing etc) to tone down the plastic effect.

Edited by louby loo

We use community playthings (I'm not a fan though into my second post as the locking wheel breaks easily) we also have the colourful folding tubular dividers, but my best ones are exhibition display panels, you can get a panel set for just over £100 and they are 3 panels wide by 2 high (foldable) but we don't stack them. The major bouns is they are all nylon loop - whoooopppp - display heaven for us packaways !!!!

@ Foreveryoung.........................are you saing the CP wheels have broken?? I have never had that problem and we're packaway, so furniture is often moved. If you have had this problem, CP will replace them, I'm sure

• Like 1

The post wheels locking wheel (brown spinning thing) - we have had 2 break in just over a year, CP are great at replacing very fast and helpful, but it's a pain having to mess around replacing them. We remove the posts/screens most sessions as have to move to back of room. x

We use community playthings (I'm not a fan though into my second post as the locking wheel breaks easily) we also have the colourful folding tubular dividers, but my best ones are exhibition display panels, you can get a panel set for just over £100 and they are 3 panels wide by 2 high (foldable) but we don't stack them. The major bouns is they are all nylon loop - whoooopppp - display heaven for us packaways !!!!

That's exactly what I'm thinking of giving a go next term for defining spaces - thanks foreveryoung

Thank you for all of your suggestions! Gives me something to take to the committee :) I like the idea of the display panel thingies, as well as the posts-in-buckets ideas - plenty of flexibility there!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)