Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition to Reception

Sorry about this but this is a bit of a rant.

I have just been along to the school that most of my children will be moving to in September.

The teachers have presented me with a transition sheet they want completed. Just the prime areas. what they want to know they said " if there is anything we need to know about the child such if they are worried by spiders then we won't ask the child to draw a picture of a spider."

Now my staff team have had the children for two years gone through battles, celebrations with the children and the families. Spent a lot of time on the learning journey recording and detailing not only their likes and dislikes but their progression and development. But this information (it would appear) is not relevant!

For the last couple of years we have not sent learning journeys because I know that there is too much info for the teachers to digest but I really do feel that the new transition sheet is an insult. I also have to admit that having invested in Tapestry and all the info that it can produce that this too is not considered worthy.

I feel the service I offer so devalued!

I will ofcourse in my foolishness continue to keep the records that I keep because it is of value to the child whilst they are with us but when oh when will the education side liaise with us in nursery? and when will there be a transition of communication between the two that will work for both of us!

Rant over!

Oh what a shame. Don't be too downhearted. Something that our area introduced a few years ago now is a transition meeting between teachers and early years provisions.

We have a set date when all schools are represented by the teaching staff and members of he nurseries, pre-schools etc are also in attendance. It is generally held at one of the primary schools.

This has been an invaluable process for both parties.

This might be worth a thought.:)

Edited by Fredbear

Oh dear, how sad.

We quite often look through learning journeys from preschools with parents as a really useful way of 'breaking the ice' when we do our home visits - maybe I'm just more clued in to the new children in September than I am now, being in the middle of final assessments, reports, transition to Year 1 and all...!

Please don't despair!

Sorry about this but this is a bit of a rant.

I have just been along to the school that most of my children will be moving to in September.

The teachers have presented me with a transition sheet they want completed. Just the prime areas. what they want to know they said " if there is anything we need to know about the child such if they are worried by spiders then we won't ask the child to draw a picture of a spider."

Now my staff team have had the children for two years gone through battles, celebrations with the children and the families. Spent a lot of time on the learning journey recording and detailing not only their likes and dislikes but their progression and development. But this information (it would appear) is not relevant!

For the last couple of years we have not sent learning journeys because I know that there is too much info for the teachers to digest but I really do feel that the new transition sheet is an insult. I also have to admit that having invested in Tapestry and all the info that it can produce that this too is not considered worthy.

I feel the service I offer so devalued!

I will ofcourse in my foolishness continue to keep the records that I keep because it is of value to the child whilst they are with us but when oh when will the education side liaise with us in nursery? and when will there be a transition of communication between the two that will work for both of us!

Rant over!

No, feel your pain LKeyteach. Our transition process is met with similar distain. We too have a Ready For School meeting between settings - our feeder school doesnt turn up! Considering they have a Good Ofsted inspection I wonder what fibs are said about transition? Or maybe Ofsted dont care about our input either?

Used to have amazing transition meeting with all our 7 feeder schools, only 2 have done a meeting with us this year as the rest are doing home visits and feel they 'can't waste anymore time' - there has been alot of changes of headships about too, so whether that has something to do with it I don't know.

How are we meant to evidence our partnership working with schools when they won't visit?

very let down this year