Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

3 1/2 year old soiling pants

Can i ask what policies and procedures everyone has in place for children soiling their pants.

We had a new child start in May (3.5 years old) mum reported on initial forms toilet trained, sometimes needs help with poo on toilet.

Each session the child soils his pants, there is always a distinict smell as he holds it in. After asking him if he needed the toilet and continuous refusals on Monday i took him to the toilet (where he had started in his pants)spent half hour with him sitting on the toilet so he didn't soils his pants. Today again staff member smelt it and asked several times if he needs a poo only to be told no. Followed by the inevitavly soiled pants.

I called mum to ask about it at home, she says prompting, she insists he goes or he wont. i recommended visitng the gp to explore for any health reasons. She then told me hes on medication, we explained the issue of a staff member not being available for 1 on 1 time to spend in the toilet waiting for him to go but i was wondering if anyone had any policies for soiled pants and children.

Any ideas?

We have so many this year that wet /soil and are starting school in September. And then we find out they are giving them laxatives prescribed by the doctor. You just have to work with it. We try to get them to change as much of the clothing as they can though. It does seem laxatives are a long term thing though and there are no short term fixes.

Personally in my opinion , I think it's unfair to say that you cannot have staff on 1:1 with child, maybe this could have been worded more appropriately.

I have a few children who like adults need time to deliver bowel movements, if the child is safely on the toilet then the member of staff can explain to child they will give them time and come back to check.

I would also direct parents to ERIC , Lots of advice for parents and professionals and ask why you have not been informed that the child is taking medication .

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Lashes I am not saying that we don't and shouldn't provide 1 on 1 for a child, we would always have that if necessary to ensure all children receive the care and support they require. However my point was being that if a parent is not advising of situations where 1 on 1 or extra provision maybe required then it is difficult to provide this and meet the child's needs adequately .

Sorry Clare , I understand what your saying , I was really referring to the way this may have been put across to the parent but I completely agree the communication of needs should have been submitted by the parent and as I said the fact the child is on medication.

I suppose it's no different than children starting with nothing mentioned regarding Sen or behaviour needs, they then take up an awful lot of 1:1 staffing, and yes we do our best for the child within normal ratios ...but it's bl**dy wearing and lowers attention available to other children, which isn't fair on anyone :(

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)