Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Work experience DBS checks

I have a couple of students who are finishing school early (16 and 18 years old) and would like to spend a couple of sessions with us basically as they have time on their hands.

Am I right in thinking that as long as they are not left unattended with the children then I don't have to go through the DBS process?

I know that as volunteers I can get them checked for free, but by the time the checks are done their stint with us will be over!

Would appreciate thoughts please!!

Sometimes I think it's so easy to tie yourself up in knots over these things!!!

Thanks in anticipation

I think the checks are very quick now - out latest one only took just over a week for postal notification to the applicant, and we had an email reply with in a day or so.

As they are free to volunteers, and given that the two students are doing themselves rather than placement I think personally I would do the checks.

That said I suppose it also depends how much time they will actually be with you, and whether or not you know them in first place. I would certainly check them if they were just random students looking for extra placements.

DBS checks might in theory be free for volunteers, but with my checking service still attract a £30 admin fee....but actually i think Work experience is actually not considered to be volunteering at all, and therefore is charged at the full rate.

£30!!!! Blinking heck our company is still less than a tenner hope they don't follow suit ?

In our setting our policy says volunteers are checked, when O came in they specifically made sure our two parent volunteers were checked.

You can from stat guidance from what I read of it but i would personally DBS them x

Well our parent/carers that come in occasionally are not DBS checked. They have no direct contact with any child unsupervised and are not able to go anywhere near the children's toileting area and are treated like a visitor that might come in.

It would be totally impractical to DBS every single person that comes in for an isolated time.

All visitors are advised on entering our premises of the pre-schools policy on access to children.

However if they were coming in for a regular amount of time I would get them checked.

• Like 2

Thanks for comments everyone - I checked on good old Ofsted and it clearly states that occasional visitors/helpers are not expected to be DBS checked but must not be left unsupervised at any time!! Obviously they never would be left unsupervised and I will complete an induction with them that states that they understand that!! You know that feeling when you sometimes think yourself into a problem!!!!

another question..I have short term funding for sen child that starts nôw until end of term..one hour per three session..how the heck do I get a new staff member for that plus dbs check them?!! Struggling to get someone to do it anyway. There only two of us on staff team so no extra bods to use..?ideas?

Do you have any other local settings with staff that might be able to help in the short term. If they already have a DBS and are signed up to the update service it should be very quick to verify.

What about asking your local Children's Centre.

Hi Fredbear - have tried that too but as it's everyone's busy time they are in the same boat!! It's always difficult at this time of year I think! We are well within ratio without an extra pair of eyes but ratio just doesn't take into account the mix of children within it!!