Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preschool in a school?

If a preschool comes into school and under the school governing body would that actually make it a nursery and therefore have the need to be run by a teacher? What if it came into the school but registered separately but still under the governing body? Anyone in this situation? Thanks

My preschool started off that way. We were in the school, under the umbrella of their governing body but with totally separate registration with Ofsted, our own inspections etc. I ran it, but the Early Years teacher used to look at my planning etc and offer advice if I needed it

I used to run an EYFS unit with pre school and reception and the pre school was registered separately but under the same governing body as the school the pre schools one had pretty much dissolved. It meant we had a pre school leader while I was the reception leader and we worked together.

When I worked my job originally it was a teacher led nursery with 26 places in the morning and the afternoon.

When county shut our afternoon places ( when they moved to two tier education and cut places into the school) we opened up privately in the afternoon and I then ran the afternoon sessions.

Two years ago nursery became financially unviable.

There was a public consultation and morning MAINTAINED nursery sessions closed down, therefore no longer needing a teacher and thus saving money.

The school then re opened and now all the nursery is private!

We are run by the governing body and part of the school. Our children are NOT on the SIMS system though and this clarifies for Ofsted why it is different to a maintained nursery.

I work with Level 3 staff, and over the course of the changes I have gotten myself an early years degree ( a first too!!!) and I became an EYP. I am known as the nursery manager.

I work with the early years co ordinator who is the reception teacher but nobody "checks" my planning or has a final say over what we do in nursery except us the staff!!

We are Ofsted'd as part of the school

Edited by Scarlettangel
  • Like 1

We are a preschool that has amalgamated with the academy . I've been told that because it's an academy we don't have to have a teacher.

Now thats interesting as the school in my situation is an academy..however I still thought the EYFS framework would insist.

On another note then..those that now come under the school do you as leader still do SEN funding forms etc, finances, admissions or does someone else in the school do it?