Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role play area - showtime! - ideas

Hello all,

My children are very into doing shows at the moment (of all kinds) so I'm thinking of making our role play area into a show space. My first thoughts include:

a stage area

background that they can paint scenery on

till/tickets

resources to make programmes

microphones

assortment of dressing up clothes!

a large box that we're going to convert into a TV that they can get inside

Any other thoughts to get us going? I have decided that the only way I'm ever going to get a new role play area 'installed' is if I give over an afternoon to making it so I'm trying to think of tasks/activities that I can delegate out to my children (especially the Y1s) too.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Loving the idea Froglet, you say staging area - curtain perhaps one of those old fashioned net wire thingys which you can hook on some eyelet screws either end and have a curtain on? Have you got a children's videotech camera you could get them to record on? How about some "star" appearing photos outside and critic quotes, are your year 1's up to making a poster or two to advertise a show?

Could have a cardboard tray with strings to carry it on shoulders for mid-show interval treats

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

Loving the idea Froglet, you say staging area - curtain perhaps one of those old fashioned net wire thingys which you can hook on some eyelet screws either end and have a curtain on? Have you got a children's videotech camera you could get them to record on? How about some "star" appearing photos outside and critic quotes, are your year 1's up to making a poster or two to advertise a show?

Could have a cardboard tray with strings to carry it on shoulders for mid-show interval treats

Love the idea of a tray for interval treats! We can explore ways to make all the different treats too. I would love a curtain - have been pondering how I can fit one in - if I manage it I'll post a photo! My Y1s are definitely up to making a poster or two. We've been reading Giraffes can't dance recently so maybe some masks for different characters then they can act out the story. I'm thinking that we could actually have props/costumes for different stories each week which should help keep it fresh - an eternal problem for my role play areas. Everyone loves it and uses it to death for a few days then it 'dies' but I don't have time to completely re-do.

I think it is very difficult to get children to "take ownership" of role play areas it does need a lot of adult input to keep it going and show lots of interest in what they are doing with it, not always ideal in a Reception Class because of adult time needed elsewhere, however, on your plus side you have budding thespians by the sound of it, ours are similar at the moment we have been "doing" Squash and a Squeeze under the climbing frame which has been quite successful with the children taking on parts of the animals etc.

what about

a cd player and some music

some pom pom things like they use in usa

an order of acts written by the children

child doing an act to write what they are going to do - sing / dance etc.,

Thank you - I especially like the order of acts idea. I have one little girl who has been a very reluctant and struggling writer and has just started to realise she can do it. This is just the sort of thing she would like to do. I finally persuaded her to write me an invitation to the wedding she and a friend were having the other day!

Edited by Froglet

I think it is very difficult to get children to "take ownership" of role play areas it does need a lot of adult input to keep it going and show lots of interest in what they are doing with it, not always ideal in a Reception Class because of adult time needed elsewhere, however, on your plus side you have budding thespians by the sound of it, ours are similar at the moment we have been "doing" Squash and a Squeeze under the climbing frame which has been quite successful with the children taking on parts of the animals etc.

Absolutely and there is only me a lot of the time and I am pulled too thin. I have no doubt that they will keep the show part of it going for ages they usually take over the entire carpet area and we have a very confusing amalgamation of power rangers meets Frozen! I love 'show time' which seems to arrive at some point during the year no matter what the cohort - a couple of years ago I had a group who loved Strictly and I had rows of judges and scoring paddles and some fantastic videos - wish I'd had tapestry back then!

My 'lighting engineer' had a great time making the 'spotlight' (torch) shine on the performer - did wonders for both fine motor skills and concentration span!

We have had exactly the same as this last week. ours love a show. So much so I purchased a theatre set from TTS catalogue, it puts up like a tent and has backdrops, signs etc. We had all the above and the children also made icecream cones from cardboard and painted cotton wool and we made one of the icecream trays.

Our children loved it, We have had grandparents in as part of our "bring your nan or grandad to preschool week" and they also thought this was brilliant and really supported the children, dressing them in props lots of cheers and claps at the end of the shows, one being a ticket seller. ( frozen was a particular favourite as was Mr Bean for some reason!) . A brilliant week.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)