Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is the EYFS becoming more formal again?

thumperrabbit

I'm particularly interested in 'school settings' both nursery & reception.

I've been lucky to visit 2 schools And so far I've noticed it being a bit more 'formal' than it was last year - when I asked one of the teachers she hinted that it was to do with pressures from above & Ofsted, children need to be achieving far more these days.

Just wondered if this is the way it's going in other places?

By the way I'm not critising the children were happy & engaged.

The school we feed into is VERY formal. Very little play, lots of literacy, rules and homework! Always seems harsh to us as we have always been 'eyfs' friendly, however, thinking of 'toughning up' next year as reception teacher complains bitterly that when she gets our little ones quote: 'they just want to run around' ?!? Ha! 'Learning Through Play, learning through play, tra la la.......

Not sure the EYFS really suits reception?

• Like 1

the main school we feed into has drastically changed the other way and has been looking at our set up ofr ideas - they have changed their outdoor area to cover the areas of learning and when i go in there are statements from the eyfs with work based on that statement - think we are very lucky

• Like 1

Guest youngrisers

think some schools see formal learning as sit down and work , while others have a more relaxed attitude and let the children play through learning. depends on the teachers understanding and where they qualified. hope they never change the EYFS play element as four year olds need to play. Too formal becomes a battle as they will not want to learn later on ....

It can also depend on the ime of year - don't forget we are at the end of the EYFS now as we head towards the second half of the summer term and they are a whole school year on from when they left nursery. Most good reception teachers would be providing a different balance of freely chosen activity vs adult directed tasks now as the transition to primary school is thought about.

however, the expectations haven't chaned - the ELGs are stillthe ELGs so i don't know what else is expected, apart from the challenge of the GLD which only schools have to deliver and get judged on!

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 1

My kids school has come on greatly after I gave some requested feedback to them, they have transformed the outdoor area, shared area and much more it's very much about play however the strains that come from school are emense, they have no choice but to do RWI sessions, guided reading sessions and maths sessions and phonics which they have tried to manage to have less of an impact but it's still a big amount. This time of year they have to prepare for transistion into yr1 which is not play based also. If children arnt achieving the school come down heavy in various aspects the demands on the teachers are so big I know I wouldn't want to be under the cosh like them and can see how they easily go the other way of little play as expectations have to be met.

Thank goodness I choose pre school as this is stressful enough x

• Like 1