Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

BA Hons and EYTS

Coco619

Hi

I'm looking for some advice,

I am due to start the BA Hons in early years in September, however I have been offered an interview to study the EYTS alongside it. Has anyone had experience of this? How did you find/manage the workload? I want to do both but don't know if I should do them both alongside each other. I don't know anyone who has done both, apart from one person who did them separately and advised to not do them alongside each other.

Thanks

It will depend on your other committments. I did my BA whilst working (running a preschool) and raising a family, which in hindsight wasn't fair. It was hard and I never felt I gave 100% to anything. I felt guilty all the time. When I was doing Uni work I felt bad not being with my family. When I was with my family, I was always thinking of the essays that I needed to complete. I had a wonderful supportive husband, but by the time I was done..... Everyone had had enough!

My advice... Don't spread yourself too thin.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I did my BA Hons and EYPS as it was back in the day together. I was also running my setting. Like MegaMum I had family commitments but my children were older (maybe older but still needing a Mum's input xD ). My BA Hons was classed as a full time final year e.g., a 40 hour week - I full day at Uni and the remaining hours for study and writing up and my working week (even with one day spent at Uni was still a 40 hour week). The EYPS workload whilst being additional was also more evidence based and reflective accounts rather than essays. Looking back I'm not quite sure how I managed but I wasn't alone as some of my fellow students were in the same boat and we were a great support to each other (especially at about 5 o'clock in the morning when we would email each other searching for references or just generally sympathising that were were still up writing/researching before getting an hours shut eye before getting up again for work). Weekends were written off for the year other than for very special occasions as were holidays. I guess you adopt a kind of "bunker" mentality.

It can be done BUT you do need to give yourself a firm talking to before you make a decision about what you are prepared to sacrifice for a year and be super organised and most of all keep to time as there is no room for maneuver to play catch up.

For me personally it was the best option as having done a three year part time foundation degree I couldn't face another 2 years but felt that I could "sacrifice" one.

The relief at the end was amazing and even now I still wonder where I found the time. Like Megamum says there will be pulls on your time from family and other commitments (I wouldn't plan to factor in training for a marathon for example :blink: ) and a good support system is always beneficial but in the end only you can decide what is personally best for you. Good luck

Thank you so much for your experiences!

It's good to know that it can be done!

I don't have children, but do work two jobs so am out of the house for 12 hours a day at least, then there's the added work such as planning, key children, staff meetings and fundraisers at weekends, so am trying to take it all in to consideration.

One year doing both does appeal, rather than the thought of another two years! Having nearly competed the two year foundation degree, I am not sure if I would like to be studying for another two years, I think I am ready for a break after one more year.

This is what I plan on doing in September too (EYITT)! I can't offer much advice from hindsight but for me this is by far the best option. I'm a little lucky in that I have no children of my own to look after and very few commitments, but I know my mum did exactly the same thing as a single mother raising 3 children so it is definitely possible!

Good luck with making your decision, as its only you who knows how much you can take. :1b

I did manage the BA year, EYT and being a deputy in a preschool setting in that year, whilst trying to still be a mum to my 3 children. I don't think I could have done a 4th year straight after but many students from my course did choose to continue with a PGCE course after their BA, so that's possible too.

My advice would be its hard work but if you commit to it, you can do it and do it well. Plan your time carefully and keep on track by making your own deadlines. Also use the support of those around you. My uni friends became my library buddies, my mum became my sounding board (she told me how wonderful I was when times got hard) and my children became my presentation critiques. Oh and I met with my tutor on a regular basis just to help keep me motivated.

Best of luck :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)