Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

new building

Hi all

we are looking at moving to a unit on an industrial park. However there is work that I can see that needs doing. I have looked at all the suitable premises stuff in EYFS. But I will be honest the committee are looking to me to say if Ofsted will find it suitable once the obvious has been done. I feel completely out of my depth really but is will be a BIG commitment so I don't want to get it wrong.

Can anybody suggest any sites, information, links that could help us?

Hi all

we are looking at moving to a unit on an industrial park. However there is work that I can see that needs doing. I have looked at all the suitable premises stuff in EYFS. But I will be honest the committee are looking to me to say if Ofsted will find it suitable once the obvious has been done. I feel completely out of my depth really but is will be a BIG commitment so I don't want to get it wrong.

Can anybody suggest any sites, information, links that could help us?

contact your local advisor..they should be able to do a site visit with you and look at the jobs to be done...or you might have a business development officer in your lea who could offer advice.

There are lots of sites for inspiration but advice is harder to find!!

• Like 2

I met a LA advisor recently who candidly told me that Ofsted will approve just about anything now..the problem is that after approval, the subsequent full inspection often finds all sorts of faults, that with a bit of planning prior to approval, could have been sorted out! Not the advice you were looking for I know, but all the more reason to beg your LA for help at this stage.

• Like 1

Hi. What type of group are you? That may make a difference to how much help you might get. Will you have to set up a new registration? We moved into a new building on the same site and Ofsted did not inspect/approve. I did inform them and got different advice each time I phoned.

we are a charity run pre-school. I think if we went into our own building we would be looking to take younger children become more like a nursery. So would need new registration. It isn't on the same site as where we are currently either. Thanks everyone will try LEA again

we did this three years ago so if i can be of any help please ask...happy to help if i can remember (don't hold out too much hope ....can't remember what i did this morning!!)

thank you finleysmaid anything you can tell us would be great. At the moment the committee are looking for me to say Ofsted will ok the building in principle before we commit. Not sure how to do that. I have picked up some issues that need addressing and obviously been through welfare stuff. There is work to be done! However I have explained that its not as straight forward as just getting them to come look at it you have to do work first.

They are looking into D1 stuff. So much will hinge on that, and on how willing they are for us to fence some of the outside area off for us to make an outside area. There is a tyre place close to the building so again we are aware that there are cars and fumes very close. But essentially you could have that if you have your setting near a busy road.

In many respects I am not sure what to ask!!

ofsted won't come out until you are set up ...and i mean set up with tables and chairs etc!!! (my builders were still working when they came!)

They did a suitable person check on me about 4 months before but that was it.

My lea did give me some advice but to be honest if you comply with the requirements then most things should be fine. Of course you have to comply with EHO and fire and health and safety requirements too which sometimes conflict!

(i too would not survive without a D1 class and an exemption for rates) If you are a charity and not for profit this should be fine but the council can assist with this (they usually come to measure up)

What are you committing to? length of lease etc or purchase or???

We became a limited company on the advice of our accountant as otherwise the liability is too high.

You'll need a new registration which takes ages.....have you contacted ofsted yet...if not do so quickly!!!! we ended up having to run for 2.5 hours a day until they had completed their checks

• Like 1

We moved four years ago and Ofsted came out before we were set up. It was still half a building site. We did my suitable person check sitting on boxes! But when was there any consistency where Ofsted are involved! :D

I guess the things you will need to think about are the amount of space, fire safety and emergency evacuation routes, number of toilets for children and adults, kitchen facilities, space for children to rest/sleep, storage, outdoor space, parking and dropping off issues. There's probably loads more too. Many issues can be put right with a bit of imagination and an open mind but I would definitely do as others have said and seek advice from your LA. They should be eager to help if there is a need for more childcare spaces in your area and you are able to provide them.

Good luck! :1b

We moved four years ago and Ofsted came out before we were set up. It was still half a building site. We did my suitable person check sitting on boxes! But when was there any consistency where Ofsted are involved! :D

They did my suitable person check in our previous building....but didn;t inspect new one till set up!

Sorry to ask - but what is a D1?? Is it to do with use of the building???

D1 is the rates 'class' that we belong to (in our case the building is only for ecclesiastical or nursery use)

As the building is only for our use we should pay rates but as a not for profit charity we are able to ask for an exemption which we luckily get....or we would be out of business really quickly as the building is huge!!!!

• Like 1

Thankyou Finleysmaid. Thats something for me to get the committee to look at again. We are in the same situation as your group. We use to get an exeption but district council changed its rules last year so we now have to pay something. Don't think it is the full amount. :unsure:

thank everyone out of interest will I have to have another suitable person interview? I mean I have already had one for role now so will I need to go again?

also we are charity status and were told that if we every shut all our resources, money etc.. would need to go to another charity. Does it count if we re-register? or expand to take other children of different ages?

What are you committing to? length of lease etc or purchase or???

It would be lease, we are going to try and negotiate a deal over rent but they may wish to tie us into a long term contract which if all goes swimmingly wont be an issue but if it doesn't.........!

It would be lease, we are going to try and negotiate a deal over rent but they may wish to tie us into a long term contract which if all goes swimmingly wont be an issue but if it doesn't.........!

We have a 15 year lease with a break clause every 3 years ...at this point they can renegotiate rent etc ...means we can get out if needed but also means we do not know how much they will ask for!

We did a build up rent for the first three years to enable us to build the business

If you re-register than the rules over release of funds do not have any effect....they are just transferred ...you need to ensure your staff's contracts say they have worked for X and now work for Y but this is continual employment.

• Like 1

We had been established for six years before we moved (four years ago). We had to re-register and I had to do a new suitable person check including check from GP etc.

oh need a dislike button ;-)

• Like 1

We have a 15 year lease with a break clause every 3 years ...at this point they can renegotiate rent etc ...means we can get out if needed but also means we do not know how much they will ask for!

We did a build up rent for the first three years to enable us to build the business

If you re-register than the rules over release of funds do not have any effect....they are just transferred ...you need to ensure your staff's contracts say they have worked for X and now work for Y but this is continual employment.

thank you finleysmaid this sounds like a good plan I think I may put this forward to the committee. We are going to need to do quite a bit of work to the building which will add value so I am hoping that they will be open to suggestions on things like build up rent and such. Will mention the three year break clause too

We had been established for six years before we moved (four years ago). We had to re-register and I had to do a new suitable person check including check from GP etc.

interesting i was told that i was being 'done' because they didn't have one on file.....the suggestion was that it would not have to be repeated if i was working for the same company...ho humm i love ofsted :wacko:

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)