Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hooray - the first swallow!

Ooh you lucky thing! Love the return of the swallows, we don't see them ooop North till between the 18th and 21st. Would be great if we could track sightings up the country!

We get sand martins first, then swallows, then house martins and last are the swifts.

BBC Springwatch would like viewers to go to their website and report when certain spring things happen, one of them is the return of the swallows, along with oak leaves bursting out! In their proper springwatch programme they are going to show just how spring moves up the country

I was lucky enough to go to the Rutland Water over the holiday and an osprey had just arrived back - it had a transmitter on and had been tracked flying all by itself from Senegal - amazing feat.

• 2 weeks later...

We may be low on swallows, but our oaks are all going mad this week! The one in my garden is still quiet bare- but the one opposite, and all the others along the road are all now well on the way. Also have seen quiet a few wrens in the garden if I sit quiet enough :1b

xx

Ooh I'd better go and check our oaks! We have three in the garden - I noticed that the hazel is well on already, and the birch are showing signs of opening, but I didn't get as far as the oaks or the ashes

Ooh I'd better go and check our oaks! We have three in the garden - I noticed that the hazel is well on already, and the birch are showing signs of opening, but I didn't get as far as the oaks or the ashes

We have three ashes - 2 ours, 1 next door and they totally fascinate me.

Every year they are each about 2 weeks difference - same cycle every year. Neighbours first, then ours, always same sequence of trees.

• Like 1