Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

There's a rat in me garage what am I gonna do!

lashes2508

Arrive at work this morning , colleague informs me that the tarp she put away on Monday has some suspicious holes ! Large mouse or rats ?

So both of us donned our gloves , found some mouse droppings , pulled everything out , disinfected shelves , binned lots of stuff , relabelled and planned to steam clean larger items when we came across rat droppings and nest ! Called the rat man and he confirmed our fear , poison down and now have to wait , I hate rats ! So one garage sorted but still lots of cleaning left but he advised to wait until rats are gone , apparently a bad year for them !

Eugh ! Thankfully we have not seen any and he did say he would dispose if any dead ones if they should appear above ground ! The poison takes 4 days as rats being clever would suss out if their friends died instantly they would not eat the poison! I can deal with most things but rats and cockroaches are my nemesis . We refrained from putting out any more on bird feeder too although the squirrels / pigeons usually get in first.

One little boy did tell us that his dad could bring his gun in and shoot them for us !

• Like 1

We have had mice inside and outside this year and really don't seem to be shifting them despite traps, and now poison. The cost is horrendous in terms of time clearing, cleaning and disinfecting, and then to replace equipment that has had to be thrown away.

So far no sign of rats, maybe due to resident fox?!!

We don't wash everything weekly or even half-termly, mostly things that the children use get washed properly once a term but it is a huge undertaking, especially getting things dry - and now I'm wondering whether we should be doing construction equipment etc more often - any thoughts?

for those with an electricity supply/ socket look at investing in a sonic mouse/rat repeller..

There are lots out there, not too costly and while I was very sceptical found that it actually worked, got rid of the mouse in preschool that has eluded all traps and as a bonus the ants did not return either and we had always been plagued by them .

We aslo had a rat problem that was sorted out by installing them.. our rats were living in the park bushes close to the setting, but they stopped coming into the hall .. well ours.. the poor people in the other hall had them instead.. oops... so long as it was not us!

edit to say looks like they do a battery operated one now too.. may be worth a look..

(PS Primrose as a company have been very good for the few things we have ordered from them. )

Edited by Inge
  • Like 2

Hopefully they will stay outside as the guy said if we block there entry they would make heir way indoors !

Mary William , invest in a steam cleaner not so expensive and makes for an easier job.

Our cushions , rugs get washed every. 6 weeks or before if needed and other items on a daily basis as many seem to be going in mouths a lot!

I'm just gutted that we brought 2 artificial grass carpets that were great for outdoors , inexpensive but got from aldi and doubt I will be able to replace them