Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self-certification

I am trying to manage absence due to illness and other reasons a bit more effectively.

I have a Self-certification form for absence due to illness, but I'm wondering about how to go about recording absence for other reasons, eg staff's children are ill?

What does everyone else do?

Could you mark in a specific colour on the register, or make up some sort of code for the register, like you would put H for holiday or S for sick if it was a child who was absent? F for family perhaps?

• Like 1

We have absenteeism and sickness monitoring forms (I sure they've got a better name though!)

Each staff has a sheet kept in their folder. When they return from sick leave they have a formal 'back to work interview' in which we discuss health and check they are fully well, if thing need adapting to help them.

All sounds very formal- which it is, however it does make people think twice about throwing a sickie xDxD

These form are pretty standard in most jobs now, and just because we are preschool/early years doesn't mean we shouldn't take things as seriously as any other employer. If you google the subject you will find loads of examples.

Having said my piece, I'm lucky most of my staff rarely have time off unless genuinely sick.

• Like 3

Each staff has a sheet kept in their folder. When they return from sick leave they have a formal 'back to work interview' in which we discuss health and check they are fully well, if thing need adapting to help them.

Do you carry out these interviews every time? If someone is off for a day with a cold? Actually I think I just answered my own question! If they are used a deterrent to prevent people taking a 'sickie' you'd have to do them every time! :1b

Do you hold return to work interviews if staff have been absent for reasons other than illness?

Edited by Stargrower

Do you carry out these interviews every time? If someone is off for a day with a cold? Actually I think I just answered my own question! If they are used a deterrent to prevent people taking a 'sickie' you'd have to do them every time! :1b

Do you hold return to work interviews if staff have been absent for reasons other than illness?

Yes, any time off (other than pre-booked appointments etc.). They can be a bit of a pain to do, but you do need to stick with it. Ideally they should be done as soon as the person gets in through the door.

I used to work in a workplace nursery. Nursery staff were employed under same contracts as the whole workforce - so the same rules for everyone. This also included a policy of 3 or more incidents of absenteeism within a certain timescale could mean the possibility of formal warnings route etc.

Any single period of absent/sickness is classed as 'one' incident - so: 1 day off with cold would be the same a 3 weeks with a broken leg.

Obviously genuine/serious health issues would be picked up very very early on and given the full support of the employer (they were an extremely good company to work for) . The company had very low sickness levels for minor illness though :rolleyes:

I suppose I just got used to working this way and have carried on with it -even in a preschool.

• Like 1

We do as Loubylou for sickness absence, and then 'leave of absence' if time needed for any other ranging from half an hour for an emergency dental appointment to a couple of days for, eg, a child being unwell.

These are then tallyed, but under different headings, as we go through the year, but we keep an eye on the levels of absence overall.

We discuss with staff as necessary or at least in July each year - conversations along the lines of 'you had 20 days off last year but look! Just 2 this year - brilliant' or 'How are we going to make sure you are able to be at work more regularly next year?'

the key seems to be that a record is made and it is seen to be relevant and important that each person is at work, and that absence is discussed - not always a comfortable discussion, but all the more valuable for that.