Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book recommendations...

Froglet

Thank you! Item one on my to do list.... Read some of the 29 books on my unread books shelf! Wonder how many I can do this weekend?!

Just realised I mis-calculated and I have a second 'un-read books shelf' which has 11 books that need to go back to other people when I've read them. Maybe I should start with those!

Ah - perhaps i should stop make recommendations then! xD

No don't!!!

I just discovered another 3 in a box that my mum has lent me that need reading. Maybe item 1 on my to do list should be 'tidy up properly and find all books to read!'

No don't!!!

I just discovered another 3 in a box that my mum has lent me that need reading. Maybe item 1 on my to do list should be 'tidy up properly and find all books to read!'

Or.......pull a chair under a tree and get reading! :D

• Like 1

Thought I'd join in...

Try David Mitchell - "Cloud Atlas", "The Bone Clocks", or Kate Atkinson - "Life After Life", "Behind the Scenes At The Museum".

If you liked "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Nieffenegger, anyone, there's "Her Fearful Symmetry" . Or one I'm reading at the moment, "Sixty-four Chance Pieces" by Will Buckingham. This last isn't yet published in this country, but is available on Amazon for Kindle. I went to a workshop at the Nottingham Writers Studio recently with Will, discussing I Ching and how he used it as a source of inspiration for this book. It consists of 64 short stories, each inspired by one of the 64 hexagrams of I Ching. Fascinating reading.....

Will have a think about some others.

Edit - well, I didn't go with Will, he was running the workshop. Silly me!

Edited by Sue R

I have just finished reading The Lie and it kept me intrigued until the end, which I found a little disappointing.

Have also recently read and can recommend:

Into the darkest corner (very dark, about DV & OCD but so good)

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (loved it! About Guernsey during the Nazi occupation)

Apple Tree Yard (unusual)

Czardas (lost count of the amount of times I have read this book over the last 20 years but sti

The Kings Curse

I'm currently reading Behind Closed Doors (bit slow but hoping it picks up)

Going to read Second Life next

I have over *** books on my kindle waiting to be read (and yes it really is into 3 figures now!) so I'm not buying anymore until I have read at least another 5 books. On a good note most have only cost me 99p or less.

Hope the above helps a little

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think you would all like "The unlikely pilgrimage of Harold Fry."

I did! I just finished one called 'The secret life of Bletchley Park' and while I wouldn't give it an unreserved recommendation it was really interesting.

One I would recommend is from years ago called 'Ella Minnow Pea' by Mark Dunn it's written as a series of letters and is set on a fictional island where the person who came up with the 'Quick brown fox ' sentence was from. The full sentence is displayed in the town centre but one day a letter drops off! The council take this as a sign that the people of that island must not longer use that letter. The loss of one letter is manageable but then more start to disappear... The letters reflect the loss of individual letters as the book progresses.

I'm probably not explaining it very well but it is very good and I loved it!

Ooh, yes!

Guernsey Library and Potato Peel Pie Society!! Read that a while ago and loved it!!

as a Guernsey girl I would of course recommend this!...my daughters interviewed my brother in laws parents about their time on the island during occupation...fascinating!