Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

i pads?

A prospective parent came to visit the pre-school today. she is moving into the area and at the moment her child attends another pre-school. Everything she looked at she said "they have that at the other PS" or "there's is bigger than that" etc, etc. When she saw our laptop, she said "Oh, they have ipads at the other PS".

That made me think - Am I behind the times with our computer and a mouse? I realise that children have ipads, etc at home and are probably not used to using a mouse. Just wondering whether I ought to start fundraising??

What do you have?

V

No not at all , even had this conversation with the inspector , we still have a laptop and mouse as this is good for hand eye coordination and cause and effect. We do have hudl tablets for tapestry and we gave a children's tablet from aldi. Stick with what you want or got as many children have I pads at home but often means they get opportunity to see how other technology work. Many work environments have laptop , monitors and mice!

• Like 3

No not at all , even had this conversation with the inspector , we still have a laptop and mouse as this is good for hand eye coordination and cause and effect. We do have hudl tablets for tapestry and we gave a children's tablet from aldi. Stick with what you want or got as many children have I pads at home but often means they get opportunity to see how other technology work. Many work environments have laptop , monitors and mice!

Hi Lashes, were you inspected whilst using Tapestry on ipad? If so how did it go

Relieved thank you :1b I agree - hand/eye co ordination and its something different from what they have at home. Mind you I smile to myself when I see some of the children trying to swipe across the screen.

V

That's what most schools still have and teachers are intrigued to see the new reception children trying to swipe the screens.

We don't have a computer, laptop or tablet at ours, but that's just me I'm afraid - I do take my iPad in occasionally or the laptop.

I had a new parent visit today , she was an early years teacher and is still teaching but with an older year group, she too agreed the importance of still having a mouse for reasons stated , iPads tablets have their place but so do laptops , I was using ours today with a child with a communication programme and microphone , this would not be possible with an iPad or similar.

We have laptops but more and more children find these difficult to use because they are used to using tablets. So considering tablets.

Sorry to move off topic but Lashes how do you get on with the Hudl for Tapestry? I want to start trialing Tapestry and my staff have suggested using the mini ipad but I wondered if the Hudl would be okay as we could get more for our money.

Any suggestions welcome.

Hi Anne the hudl are great and so much cheaper , we got 2 and numbered so staff are allocated one to use , which makes it so much easier if photos have been taken and not uploaded immediately. Committee suggested iPad but if they get damaged cost much more to replace. The hudl definitely meets our needs.

Remember technology does not just mean computers iPads etc it can include all things that work in a technical way . Bee bots and other programmable toys are also technology , CD players , story phones. Etc are also technology there are some good research papers out there [PDF]More than Computers: ICT in the Early Years - datec

www.datec.org.uk/guidance/DATEC7.pdf

Extract from: Developmentally Appropriate Technology in Early Childhood .... Computers should be used as a means to fulfil a function which cannot be ...

• Like 1