Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help with managing workmen on the premises

We are in a church hall and have been told that there has to be a new smoke detector and fire alarm system installed and the work begins next week, taking 2 - 3 weeks. It can't be done at any other time as the building is unsafe without it!

So there will be workmen in the building while the children are there, although the plan is for the work on our rooms to be done in half term. They will still be working in different areas though.

Panicking a bit as to what risk assessments/ procedures to put in place and what to tell Ofsted. We are due anytime so don't want to be caught out.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and can give me some pointers please? Would be much appreciated.

This is a tricky one with out knowing your layout. We are also in a rented hall with good communication with the Parish Council that run it.

They try to accommodate any major works during closed times for us, so with little or no interruption. However there have been times when it's necessary for them to come on site during opening hours too.

No unsupervised access at anytime, which toilet they could use, ensuring the building remains secure at all times, were all things we risk assessed.

I know one of our forum friends had a dreadful experience over building work and Ofsted recently, hopefully they might be along soon to advise.:)

We quite often have workmen calling in on us, due to the fact that at least someone is in the hall when they come!

I've tried talking to the village hall committee but they just don't 'get it' and the fact that "it's only Fred from down the road" doesn't make it any better to me but it does to them - bless em ;)

I will try and say to workmen you can enter the moment all the children have left and we tidy up around them and actually these days a lot of workmen do realise that we have to deal with Ofsted constraints perhaps when you meet them you may find out they already realise they can't enter?

While you're thinking about ground rules...workmen in school have to follow our rules about no hot drinks while the children are in, no smoking on site and we ask them to be careful with their conversations with each other too when small ears may be around.

Being a school we have access to LA approved people too.

We have a contractors agreement which they sign, it stipulates which areas of the building they are allowed to access and states the need not to leave any tools laying around. It also tells them that ALL staff are aware of who they are, what they are doing and which areas they are allowed to access and that they will be challenged if they are anywhere that they have agreed they will not access. Dont worry too much about being due Ofsted, they don't know their own rules anyway so stick to best practice and doing the great job that you do every day x

• Like 1

Hello :).........................well, our main problem was not so much the workers , as Ofsted inspectors who couldn't see the wood for the trees!

So, main thing is to ensure that all of the workers are signed in to your visitors book.( check their ID).........even if they are only in the building, rather than your room.

Ensure that you know how many of them are in their team, so they HAVE all signed in.

They need to consider how and where they keep their tools, warn them that small people and parents will be coming in and out, so they have a duty of care to keep equipment out of harm's way..........warn parents that this is happening and to keep children away from workers. Do you have a system where you 'meet and greet' children when they arrive at the building, or do they come in and then come along to your rooms?

Make sure you have spoken to them about shutting doors, gates, exits etc, even if they are 'only popping to the van to get some kit' and enforce it. If they don't do it, then give them a rollicking.

Ensure they know that smoking on the premises is an absolute no no....................and, as you say, that their language is polite at all times ( if they are professionals, then that shouldn't be an issue)

Ensure that they are not using toilets that are designated for the children.......but if they HAVE to, then your children are kept well away from them until the workers have gone.

Should the 'O' people turn up, you will have to demonstrate that you are aware the builders are in, where they are and how many of them are working.Show them the visitors book. You will have to demonstrate that you have considered ALL possible issues surrounding them being there, but also that it is essential work that cannot wait as it is for the safety and security of all users. Show that you have considered all angles............what would you do if one of the workmen decided to gain entry to your room without permission?

BUT, I would say that showing your usual due diligence will be enough. You KNOW that the children in your care are safe and that you are vigilent at all times. let's hope the 'O' people come along after the work is done.............but if it's while work is in progress, that you get one ( or two!) with a modicum of common sense and who know that life sometimes gets in the way of running things smoothly :) Good luck.................I'll keep thinking :)

• Like 1

Talking about smoking I have an issue...

We too are in a church hall. There are two adjacent halls each with separate coded door but shared front yard. On Friday the church rents the other hall to auction people. They regularly smoke in the shared hall. I have raised this with the church and tell me that the area has been provided for them to smoke in. Drives me mad as they are just on the other side of our front door. Where do I stand?