Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice please

Could anyone help suggest a few behaviour strategies I could give a parent around their child telling lies. Its a hard one because I don't want the child to stop talking but its about knowing what's the truth and whats made up.

Edited by Cheryl29

What about through stories? Rather than focusing in it as a negative behaviour that just be quashed every time they do it, focus on it as a lesson they all need to learn and use stories to put the point across. The boy who cried wolf scenarios.

Don't know if there are any stories like that out there, but it's an idea. It'll feel less like a chore for you then as well.

Is the child able to tell the difference? If not, I think it's best ignored.

I don't think we can sit down with children and read them made up stories from books and then expect them not to make up their own. At this age I think they just talk about the world from their perspective, including the imaginary world.

I would suggest they don't think of it as telling lies for at least a year. In the meantime they can gently correct the child when they know the facts so he/she begins to learn the difference.

• Like 2

I've had a three year old tell me this morning......"there was a fox in my house" - this after I had just read 'Gingerbread man' to the group - I questioned "was it in your house or in your garden" - "no in my actual house" came his reply - he then went on to treat us all to a story of how it chased his cat (he hasn't got a cat!) and that he opened the door and let them both out xD five minutes later we were talking about woodpeckers - guess what he has had one of those in his house too! xD

I would call this 'super use of imagination'! :1b

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)