Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Areas of learning

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a pre existing pack away preschool and I have a couple of questions regarding setting up areas of learning. At the moment, the setting is set up every day in a different way (they have community playthings room dividers and units). When you set up, do you keep the areas of learning in the same place or do you change it around every day also?

Another thing, do you have indoor water and sand trays? If so, do you you have them out each day?

Last question....for now anyway...!!....do you have a fine motor skills area? If so, how do you set this up?

Thanks so much,

K x

Years ago I took over a pack away group in a church I liked to move things around, we got good feedback from parents as previously this didn't happen. After a few weeks the vicar came for a chat and asked us not to put the sand in a certain area as the walk in baptism pool was just underneath and our sand was filtering through the floor boards. I was embarrassed I didn't attend the church so didn't know I know it doesn't answer your question but I did think its a bit funny.

• Like 3

Well keep things in the same area as such, but arranged differently - if you can understand that xD :lol:

As sue above says, certain things need to stay in the same section of the hall for that very same reason.

So the messy/arty type stuff needs to be where it can be contained [sand/water on floor low risk of slips/trips], the snack near the kitchen, a big open clear gross physical area near the fire doors so they always remain easy access etc. We always have an adult focus type activity near the toilets [so you can hear what's going on in there :D]

The actual areas themselves change set with rug/small tables almost daily, although we do like to keep the free selection resources pretty much in the same areas anyway- so the children can find what they want easily.

Suewhit that is funny!

Thanks for you r replies. I think I will perhaps keep the layout the same for a week at a time rather than everyday. Thanks ladies!

Hi and good luck with your new venture. We are packaway in a village hall and generally keep ours in the same place in the room.

I do think it can throw children when they are new if you keep moving things too much. However when the children are settled it is quite nice to have an occasional jiggle.

Water indoors, sand outside, and not every week. As we have lots of other sensory and messy activities too. The parish council are already grumbling about glitter used for the firework pictures, can't wait when we go for all the sparkly in the next few weeks.:):)

The messy end of my room always stays the same but the carpeted end changes with the needs of the group. For instance this week the hollow blocks have come back in and I have jiggled things around to make room. I also removed the home corner yesterday as this has been in since September and is not being used too much anymore. I am a great believer in jiggling things as it shakes things up, makes it fresh. I always keep the book corner in the same place as this is the first area the children visit when they come in to change their book bags.

• Like 1

Also as you are packaway you will find that even though the areas maybe the same the resources will probably be changed more frequently and for the children that just means different.

I tend to find it's me who needs the change not the children xD

the other thing is time - if you only have a limited amount of time to set up staff need to know what goes where otherwise it slows the process when they keep shouting out where's the small world / messy play going today?! unless you are going to have a very detailed planning sheet each week!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)