Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Literacy observation - Nursery rhyme 'Row your boat'

Hi, I'm being observed next week for Literacy. I'm going to do an activity based on 'Row, row, row your boat' (our rhyme of the week and boats to do with chn's interests), just could do with a bit of advice/reassurance really on whether it sounds ok or not! This is from my planning so far:

Family groups- retell rhyme together using actions (in pairs). Bring out puppet and explain that he often forgets words- can we help him? Puppet says rhyme, pausing at certain words for chn to shout out. (identify chn joining in with this) What animals have we seen so far on our journey? Show a lion- what sound could we make when we see it?

Guided activity- chn to have pictures from the rhyme to stick on paper (boat, crocodile, people). Encourage chn to talk about what they are sticking, where and why. Use this opportunity to prompt identified chn who didn’t join in with missing word in main activity. Extend chn to say what other animal they might meet and what noise they would make- encourage them to mark-make this. Lola and Lizzie to have a go at identifying some initial sounds for their mark-making.

Main objectives are filling in the missing word in a rhyme/ giving meaning to marks

Do you know the David Elwood version? It has lots of extra verses too to help develop appreciation of rhyme.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Boat-Teddy-Bear-Sing-Along

though the Amazon price for this is a bit mind boggling just now (£179)!!!

If you want the verses I'll see if I can find my copy at school tomorrow!

I'd like to know some extra verses please, it's one of the rhymes we sing a lot too

row, row , row your boat

gently down the river

if you see a polar bear

don't forget to shiver

row, row , row your boat

quickly round the bay

if you see a pirate ship

sail the other way

row, row , row your boat

swiftly round the shore

if you see a lion there

don't forget to roar

These from (defective) memory, but it's the gist. There are others but couldn't find book today - will add them when I do.

It's a lot of fun!

My daughter sings some to her children. There is one with a lake, if you hear a hissing sound it's probably a snake. At playgroup we would sing a verse with a stream, if you see a crocodile don't forget to scream.

There is also this verse we sing Row row row your boat gently out to sea, if you see the blue whale invite him back for tea.

If anyone knows of any more I would also like to know as our children love this rhyme.

• 3 weeks later...

row row row your boat gently down the stream

HA HA fooled you I'm a submarine (you then have to put up your periscope and make a submarine noise!)

or rock rock rock your boat (plus any ending) this helps with core muscles....especially if done in pairs!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)