Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mathematics - Help please

Deb27

Hi

I'm hoping someone could offer some clarification on the development matters; mathematics - numbers, 30-50 'seperates a group of three or four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the toal is still the same', as this is a pre-counting skill. A simple example or activity idea would hopefully clarify this for me.I'm trying to support less experienced members of my team and just struggling with this one.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome!

This is about conservation of number - if you have 3 objects you can have them in groups of 3 groups of 1, 2+1 or 1+2 or even 1 group of 3 but you will still get 3.

Simply playing with counters or small objects and arranging them in different groupings would be a way of approaching this. I might share out 3 counters in different ways and explore who might have more or less to introduce the mathematical comparative language as well.

The skill links to calculation and the reversibility of addition in future, so if I know 8+2 is 10 the 2+8 HAS to be 10!

Cx

we did this by reading the 3 billy goats gruff story and putting the 3 goats on one side or other of a 'river', e.g. one on left and 2 on right is 3 altogether, changing the number on each side to realise that it is always 3.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)