Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2, 3 & 4yr olds in a packaway setting planning help!

As I started to hi-jack another thread where Sue kindly shared photos I thought I'd start a new post.

I'm after planning ideas for mixed aged provision (all in one room) plus we are a total packaway group.

How do you decide what comes out each day?

What areas/zones do you have?

Do you have planning sheets for each age range?

How do you ensure that there is challenge for your 4yr olds?

I'm ready to move my very reluctant staff from a 'rota' system but need to have ideas on how to do it!

• Like 1

Hi, not a pack away, but areas are: book corner, numeracy, literacy, small world, role play, creative, construction, ict, investigation, DMP, this is all in one room set out into areas( and reflected outdoors) we don't have planning sheets for each age (though I do wonder if we should for 2 yr olds) we plan weekly for individuals so this is age/ability related, we have bought a few more resources aimed at the 2 year olds, but to be honest all children access everything at their own level and with extra support as necessary, ie we have construction sets near small world, the 2 yr olds will stack the blocks, the 4 year olds are making garages, adding ramps and including cars/people etc from small world, I bought a few push & go cars for younger ones (think it may have been you that said yours were enjoying them) but it's actually the older boys who enjoy them more....lining them up, racing them, who's is fastest, who's has gone the furthest etc so maybe we shouldn't get so hung up which age should access what .....and no I don't have a 'what if under 3's look at an over 3's toy' policy

• Like 4

We have a weekly focus sheet in most areas with every child's name on it .We differentiate on sheet what each age group might be doing. We usually have 4 stages i.e 16-26 =1 etc. The staff member

responsible for that area will jot it down alongside name writing a quick obs if relevant and/or taking a photo. Key persons use these towards evidence on monitoring children's progress on PRAMS. This works well for our group.

Before we separated 2's and 3/4's we had one planning sheet that covered all. We had a reading settee, homecorner, small world trolley, large blocks and matt, Playdough table, listening table, craft area, snack table, writting table, water tray, sand tray, focus table, paint easel, indoor physical area, music area. Each area where possible went in one box then we added enchancments as needed. our room is unbelievable big ! so sounds a lot but not really when you have so much space.

Hi we are a pack away setting in a large village hall. We have areas such a mark making, library, messy, exploration, maths, life experience, large physical space for slides, climbing frame, trampolines etc, construction. We use a couple of wheeled trundels with resources in some of which are cintinuous provision, some based on the interests of the children and believe in the term "less is more". We use dividing boards to seperate each area so that each area is defined. We take from 2 and split into developmental groups for circle, story, and small group time. We use medium term (termly plans) from which we draw weekly enhanced plans that are informed by the interests of the children and also next steps. We do not use planning sheets for each age range but do target children on our weekly plans. It takes quite bit of setting up and puttting away but we arrive half an hour before opening and leave half an hour after closing!!

We don't differentiate areas or resources, we plan individually for our key children ( do not do group work)

Adult led activities take into account more challenging bits for older children (ie craft)

Story groups are divided into age ish but that's all

Circle time in terms 1 and 2 are shorter than the rest because obviously the younger ones do not have developed core muscles abd can't sit for so long

I love my mixed setting though, mutually beneficial for all ages and stages

• 5 weeks later...

We are struggling with planning for our mixed-age, pack away setting too. Previously, all planning seemed to be done by the manager, was very heavily topic-based etc. I took over in September and have tried to introduce a simpler method, with each key person planning for their own children (I haven't got time to be planning for everyone and surely the key person is the best person to plan for their children?!?) based on their interests. However, the staff are really struggling to get to grips with filling it in and the early years advisor wasn't too keen on it either :(

So, I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any forms I could use as a base to redo ours please? I am really struggling with this and it's getting the better of me now :(

We only have to pack away on a Friday, so a little bit different but I'm just introducing a new planning cycle at our playgroup to get the children more involved. So, the plan is that before the end of the term (i.e. now) the staff decide on the loose topic for next half term i.e. Winter. We then all mindmap/bullet point things that can be included in this for example, weather, clothes, animals, Frozen(!) and make a small box of provocations/resources to introduce the topic to the children in key groups. The key person then uses the box with their groups to talk to the children and records their ideas and experiences.

This information then goes to our planning meeting next week where we map out the main areas (craft, role play, malleable...) for the next half term. However, these are mainly for helping those set up on a Sunday to give them pointers for what to get out. If children have asked for things or really grasped the role play, it stays out and is enhanced by other resources.

The staff are now filling in Individual Learning Plans where they have identified a gap in their child's learning and will plan an activity that is of interest to one or a small group and then record the Next Steps according to the direction that the child went with the activity. They are doing these at least once every half term in addition to snap shot obs.

I'll try and attach the forms tomorrow when I've read how to do that as I'm out of practice!!

Hi,

I work at a Pre-school with 2yr olds I find it difficult to gain their listening and attention skills. Most of them are at 16- 26 months. any advice on what activities i can implement?

Hi sharing stories and songs, especially those with repetition. Coming down to a child's level in conversations and play, social scenes such as snack or mealtimes, role play.

Using simple words, phrases or gestures for instructions. As well as positive praise for super listening.

Children like adults love to please on the whole and praise is a great motivator.

Hi,

I work at a Pre-school with 2yr olds I find it difficult to gain their listening and attention skills. Most of them are at 16- 26 months. any advice on what activities i can implement?

Always use their name at the beginning of a sentence! lots of stop and go games or ready steady go....so for instance in the sandpit help them to build a sandcastle and then say ready steady and wait.....hopefully they say go (needs modelling to start with!) or dropping balls down tubes 1.2.3. ....GO etc etc getting words wrong in simple rhymes or if they know the names of animals getting it wrong in stories (like calling a mouse an elephant....and wait!!!)

processing at this age can take a while so leave it for 30/40 seconds before repeating or rephrasing

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)