Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supervisions on the Manager of a committee run pre-school

I do the termly supervisions on the staff, but the committee only do a yearly Appraisal on me - and to be honest that's really only to 'tick a box'

Do you have a termly supervision?

And if you do, what do you talk about, as most of our discussions are around individual child's needs and I don't discuss this with committee - unless I really, really have to

All I can say is lucky you. I dont get anything from the committee, they just put their names down to keep the playschool open but leave the running etc to me and I never get quized, which is fine but feedback would be good.

I think it is very hard working with committee's and it is sad that some dont really understand about early years at all.

I have so far only managed an annual appraisal, and only because I have pushed for it! To be honest it only helps for me to let the committee know what problems I am struggling with. The last one appeared great, but nothing came of any of the plans to support me!

Sorry, sounds very negative but having a complete downer on committee at the moment!

• Like 1

I am the manager and I encourage staff to do peer observations on each other as well as on myself. This week I have put an observation form for each member of staff on the board and we all contribute to each other's ..... Each member of staff uses a specific colour of pen so we know who has identified what and we will discuss our findings at next weeks staff meeting.

I am the manager and I encourage staff to do peer observations on each other as well as on myself. This week I have put an observation form for each member of staff on the board and we all contribute to each other's ..... Each member of staff uses a specific colour of pen so we know who has identified what and we will discuss our findings at next weeks staff meeting.

Sounds interesting, what is your observation form like Carol?

I haven't got a copy on here but it's basically a grid with questions such as .....is their evidence of staff

getting down to childrens level

gaining eye contact

using open ended questions

using body language appropriately

using facial expressions appropriately

extending childrens learning/vocabulary

including 7 areas of learning/characteristics of effective learning

etc

And then marking them 1,2,3,4 ( 4 being highest) this is then discussed with the member of staff or during a staff meeting if all staff have taken part

I haven't got a copy on here but it's basically a grid with questions such as .....is their evidence of staff

getting down to childrens level

gaining eye contact

using open ended questions

using body language appropriately

using facial expressions appropriately

extending childrens learning/vocabulary

including 7 areas of learning/characteristics of effective learning

etc

And then marking them 1,2,3,4 ( 4 being highest) this is then discussed with the member of staff or during a staff meeting if all staff have taken part

Wow think my staff would freak!! But thanks Carol

Peer obs are a very small part of supervision , safe guarding is also a big area for talking about during this process, maybe your deputy could do this part for you

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this topic with interest as I too am a manager with little feedback and fairly new at my job. I have a new deputy too. I was thinking of sending out a questionairre to my staff for them to complete anonymously about they feel i am doing but unsure what questions to put on it. Does anyone else do this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Just read this topic with interest as I too am a manager with little feedback and fairly new at my job. I have a new deputy too. I was thinking of sending out a questionairre to my staff for them to complete anonymously about they feel i am doing but unsure what questions to put on it. Does anyone else do this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Yes we do, we use surveymonkey. Questions are put together at board meetings then sent out to staff, we ask things like do you feel supported by the manager, do you feel your ideas are valued. Some of the questions are given by me as I want to know what others think and some are by the committee board, it's completley anonymous, we only do this three times a year though. One thing I'm going to try though is in a mtg get staff to write down one positive comment and one constructive comment about me (manager) not just for feedback on my management skills but also to try and embed the open and challenge ethos I'm currently highlighting as an area to build on.

• Like 2