Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DM Writing Question?

Hi all,

This week my FS team and I have been looking back and analysing our on entry to nursery data and tracking the children all the way through to their on entry to reception following a few discrepancies. What has come up in discussion is writing. How can a judgement of emerging, developing or secure be made in writing 22-36mths ('distinguishes between the different marks they make') when there is just one statement?

I have looked back at previous posts about the stages of writing development which was useful but still find it hard to explain to the team what a child that is emerging/developing/secure in writing within the age band 22-36mths looks like?

Any advice or thoughts?

Thanks x

A while ago on here I read someone distinguishing it by working through the thought process: Is this something the child is confidently doing all the time? Yes - then secure. No - then ask yourself: Is this something the child is just beginning to do? Yes - then entering. No, they're stronger than that but not completely confident all the time - developing. Sounded sensible.

Emerging = child is beginning to acquire the skills and knowledge in this age band and will need lots of opportunities to rehearse and consolidate these

Developing = child is practising and consolidating the skills and knowledge in this age band in lots of situations and is growing in confidence but will need further opportunities before the learning is fully embedded

Secure = child is fully confident in applying the skills and knowledge in this age band independently and consistently in a range of situations

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)