Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Communication Diaries

Hi Every body, we are a private day nursery, we currently use communication diaries for all of our children, 0-3 years have daily and 3 plus have a weekly one. We currently make our own diaries and they are popularwith both parents and ofsted however not with the staff. We are currently reviewing them to make them more managable and was wandering if any one has new ideas to help with this or use them at your settings which i could have a look at.

TIA

Have you thought about using Tapestry for an online learning journey system if you go to the green band at the top of the page you can find out all about it. It has been developed by the saints of the forum,Steve and his team and is extremely popular.

We have a diary for 0-2 about nappy changes, toys played with, food etc then once they are in the older room they don't have this anymore. We used to do a brief one for the 2 years + children but the parents never really brought them back so stopped and nobody minds! We do the babies diaries when they sleep in the afternoon x

I use a daily contact book for each child - this is not their Learning Journey - just a way of providing instant two way communication - we keep them manageable by writing just a short sentence each day (unless we need to write more) e.g. we might just write 'super morning - super boy' or 'Charlie showed great interest in xxxxxxx this morning' or 'ask Fred about his fantastic drawing' - you get the idea! :1b

Parents (some not all) provide some brilliant info for us via these diaries..........I find them particularly useful if a child is struggling a little with communication - I will in that case ask parents to write something about what they have been doing at home to give me a starting point with conversation - "mummy said you went to the zoo"........"what did you see there".........."shall we make a zoo with the big blocks" - that sort of thing :1b

• Like 2

Our 0-2's have a communication booklet that's used every day with self designed sheets that we print off and fill in. Many of the options are just circling a choice regarding food, sleep and nappies, then a box for comments.

In the pre-school room (2-5), we don't tend to do the communication books unless parents request them due to time constraints (we can have up to 30 kids in that room in a day) and even if we do them, they're more basic than the babies.

All of our children used to have a communication book in their book bags. It's a great idea in theory but in practice was not manageable for us and some parents wrote loads and other books remained empty of parental input!! It did work really well for the children who's parents that we did not see on a daily basis.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)