Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pro active staff meetings

Hi Everyone,

Our monthly staff meeting is upon us and I need some interactive staff activities to engage the staff in group discussion as well as team work. Any ideas ????

On the last meeting I made statements up of children's ages and they had to guess them, whilst working as a team. I also got them to take take part in a brain storm activity looking at the roles of a practitioner.

I need some help in thinking of fresh need ideas.

Suggestions welcome :)

Thank you to all who welcomed me as new to the forum.

I like the junk modeling one! you get staff into teams and provide them with junk modeling, string, glue etc etc. You take your city if its feasible and think of landmarks or things it is famous for and the teams have to work together to think of an idea and build it/represent it using what they have.

It shows staff how creative they can be, usually highlights peoples strengths creativeness/leadership/teamwork etc but it should also gain a few laughs specially if you have time get them to sell their product to the others doing a presentation.

Hello,

I really think staff meetings are important not only to reaffirm your team commitment but also to explore ideas together.

One meeting we focused on engaging with parents and did role play in twos. Each person was given a parent or practitioner role with a specific aim, ( ie. a parent not wanting their child to dress in so called opposite gender role play items or a parent who was always rushing at drop off and pick ups time. It was very varied). The activity was fun but then we also came together to discuss our experiences and the different types of parenting styles we see and how we could deal with them in future.

I am currently planning to introduce staff to reflective cycles/processes to support their practice and approach to how they work with the children, parents and each other. Any ideas would also help me? Thanks

It needs to be interesting to keep everyone motivated even after the session.

Junk modelling that's a great one. I'll keep that in mind. We expect our children to get creative, work as a team and then we observe and enhance their learning, maybe I should think about the experiences I plan for the children and see how they can be adapted to a staff training morning!!

Have you tried a Taxonomy? it might help as a starter as to why you are looking at reflective analysis when thinking about how you work with your parents it doesn't take long either but helps staff to highlight their communication methods and start to think more outside the box.

Each key worker looks only at their children, listing all parents and where feasible if you only have contact with auntie then include her too as well as mum/dad for that child. It is more feasible to not include every member of the family just mum/dad and main contact if there is one, dont forget separated parents where the child still has contact with both.

Each coloum has a key (see bottom of sheet), key workers go through their list marking off what type of communication they have with each person, some will be no contact (x) as you may not see dad for example, some will be © general chat about weather and new shoes etc etc - you will find that not many practioners get the (i) true communication statement. This will help staff to look at the way they communicate, ideas for increasing communication and the types of things that are shared also how to increase a two way flow of information (i) - staff will hopefully then reflect on their communication methods as its ok saying "well i talk to that parent all the time" but its what you talk about!!

Doesn't take long at all and my staff really found it helpful x (still trying to figure out how to upload a copy)

Edited by Rochelle

If someone knows how to upload a file ? i will then share the grid - as i carnt figure it out

Right its easy-peasy! :1b

Click on reply and then choose more reply options - sure you will be able to work it out from there! If not 'shout'! :1b

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)