Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How many activities each day?

Each keyperson has a plan which shows the focus children for the week and possible activities the KP will do to met next steps/interests

We then transfer these activities onto a Monday to Friday plan (to show when these activities will be done) Also on the plan the staff are adding something to each area each day ie a next step might be mark making so they may add gloop to the malleable tray (which all children can join in) , another maybe throwing and catching so we might play with balls/bean bags in the garden

There is Continuous Provision set up In addition to this

Also the staff are planning an indoor and an outdoor activity (would they need to do this as surely the above is enough?)

So when I covered in the playroom the other day. (one end of the room is creative, messy play) and the other floor play home corner etc. There was water play and an easel for painting a creative table for an art activity and a malleable table with gloop in it. The other end of the room the children were busy playing with a member of staff and floor play construction small world etc. (I am out of touch with the toddlers I know they need to be busy but do you think this is a bit too much?

Would you have all these high level going on at the same time?

Hope I haven't rambled

Thanks

I would suggest that if the staff are happy with this degree of planning, let them do it. It's way better than the opposite end of the spectrum! It doesn't sound as if time spent planning is taking them away from interacting with the children. All the activities they plan could be next steps for specific children, but open to all. Without seeing the plan it's hard to tell, but I'd be happy with that degree of familiarity of their children's needs.

I think this is always a difficult one to call. On some days you may have less activities on offer, but wonderful more complex play is evolving. Another day not so.

If the staff are happy doing it and the childrens needs are being met I think I would leave it be.:)

• Like 1

Can I ask do you choose one activity for each area of learning to focus on for a day or week? if so where do these come from?

A setting I went into has all the areas down the side and mon to fri along the top and puts activities in each box each day- (I wonder how they get all those activities done?) My concern with our staff team would be that the staff wouldn't know what they are setting the workshop area or am I trying to make it too simple for them?

Can anyone share how you do it please

Can I ask do you choose one activity for each area of learning to focus on for a day or week? if so where do these come from?

A setting I went into has all the areas down the side and mon to fri along the top and puts activities in each box each day- (I wonder how they get all those activities done?) My concern with our staff team would be that the staff wouldn't know what they are setting the workshop area or am I trying to make it too simple for them?

Can anyone share how you do it please

angel on 26June 2014 - 9:42pm

I think that would be too many activities for your staff to plan. We plan like you do but we plan a focus activity each day and try and cover all seven areas of learning within it, for eg if we did painting mini beast activity, we could for Maths ask "how many legs has the spider got"?. hope this makes sense as its the first post i have replied to since ive become a member

Edited by angel99

We have something for each area each day but not an activity as such just resources that they can choose to access but if they don't that's fine, the opportunity is there. Then we have one adult led activity which may link to a couple of aspects or just one mainly (obviously there would be looser links to other aspects but that's not the focus) ! If that makes sense at all!! It's so easy when you know what you mean just hard to describe!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)