Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talk for writing in Nursery.

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here, hoping someone may be able to help!

We will be using Pie Corbett's Talk for Writing throughout our school starting in September. The school has been using it to a degree but not so much in Nursery. We have to choose what texts we would like to use throughout the year so I was wondering if anyone has had particular success using a text with the talk for writing technique? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Welcome and congratulations on your first post. I can't help I'm afraid as we don't use that, but hopefully someone will be long soon who can help you

We do it!! Started as a whole school initiative and we have nurseryfied our version ( my teacher is fab!)

We alternate between a story and a rhyme week to week, starting off by listening to the story or rhyme , usually with a powerpoint. We put action sot it on day 2, revisit this on day 3 then do actions and act it out on the fourth day. The children love it and it especailly enhgages less able children. Lots of the children don't know lots of traditional nursery rhymes so we'rer largely doing that and traditional stories. Things like the Three Little Pigs, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Enormous Turnip and the Little Red Hen have been amazing!!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We do it!! Started as a whole school initiative and we have nurseryfied our version ( my teacher is fab!)

We alternate between a story and a rhyme week to week, starting off by listening to the story or rhyme , usually with a powerpoint. We put action sot it on day 2, revisit this on day 3 then do actions and act it out on the fourth day. The children love it and it especailly enhgages less able children. Lots of the children don't know lots of traditional nursery rhymes so we'rer largely doing that and traditional stories. Things like the Three Little Pigs, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Enormous Turnip and the Little Red Hen have been amazing!!

Brilliant! It's lovely to hear how successfully it has slotted into nursery. I think the rhymes will be very good, tested a few out recently, sending them home so parents can get involved too, thanks for the response.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have kind of self taught myself TFW and used it very successfully in a Reception and now in Nursery.

I started with The enormous turnip - which many didn't know. For a couple of days I read it to them at the end of the day, then got chn to act it out as I retold it, promoting them for what happens next. The role play was the old woman's kitchen so kids could act out the story, making soup. In my library I have a book focus / related small world so put characters and a shallow tray of soil and a real turnip so they could orally retell the story ( I got some great video evidence of this). After a few days I got chn to learn a few actions, once upon a time, first, next, after that, who, finally etc.... Kids absolutely loved it. Then we started to talk about the size of the turnip ( maths area supported sorting by size) and had a challenge to find different words for big at home, kids started to use words like huge, massive, ginormous, colossal! We ALS talked about how the characters felt and this fed into their 'acting' the story.

Later we changed the story and the children came up with a little rabbit who couldn't pull a huge carrot out of the ground, so got his brothers and sisters to help. Children collectively made it up and I wrote in their words. We laminated it and sent it home, then put in the class librAry. The children talked about the fact they were authors... Just go for it.

Little red hen and gingerbread man are also good.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest suchfun

Hello,

In my nursery class we do daily rhyme time - we read the same book, a simple rhyming text each day - and do the same rhyme and song too, every day - takes about 10 minutes at end of session - parents come in to watch/join in on Fridays - v popular!

Books are usually Nick Sharrat if possible! We do nursery rhymes but also ones I make up - songs ditto - has really lifted awareness of rhyme, rhythm and alliteration - we act out rhymes too and accompany with instruments too!

Just recently I have been reading ABC does a blog site - interested in the discussions about what we need to cover through Continuous provision - not just leaving it to a once a term theme...... traditional tales came up - children don't know these so much nowadays - other things available! I now have a small interactive display which I change every 2 weeks - it's on a shelf really! I put out puppets or masks initially, no book - just to assess level of knowledge etc. After a couple of days I add a copy of matching story and read it in book area - then to whole class at other times - this has been SO successful, many more children are re-enacting the stories, using story language and wanting to hear / read the books. I have also been very strict in using story related vocabulary - such as asking the children to fetch the characters from the shelf - which character is this etc - will definitely continue this in September - creating a photo record of what we do so children can revisit over the term.

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)