Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

So....I did it :-/

After working as manager for the last year and a half I have gone and taken the huge step of handing my notice in. I don't know if I feel relieved that the pressure is now off of me.....does anyone else feel like it takes over their life??! Or if I feel like I've failed by leaving. Bit up in the air with it really.

Time to tie up loose ends!

• Like 1

well done for taking the huge step and following through on a decision that is always hard to do..

No failure in leaving.. I really feel it is one many more will take if the pressure continues without the pay to back up the huge amount of work and responsibility it involves to manage /run a setting..

It does seem to take over and there is no way of reducing it, no matter how much you delegate or try to avoid it..

What next?? do you have a post to go to, or is it a rethink and change of path now..

maybe you will be able to have a fun summer with no thinking about all that needs to be done... no long list of to do, and time to catch up on those things you always think you will do someday ..

Wow - I'm not surprised you feel like that - think I might feel a little envious :ph34r: of you!

Every Monday I think why am I doing this, but then if I have so much as a day off I wonder what's happening and don't know what to do with my self - think I'm scared of not being stressed !!

Enjoy your last days, and I hope you are lucky enough to be able to enjoy the summer without working - heaven :P

Thanks guys!

I'm moving to another setting as deputy so just enough stress to keep me thriving but not enough to make me feel as if I'm drowning in it!

I love working in a pre school but there's something wrong when you're experiencing the levels of stress you would expect from having your own nursery.

I plan on having a summer of fun with my children and RELAXING!!

Although I do think a tiny part of me will miss my endless lists!

• Like 4

Being manager is a huge responsibility, I am sure other staff, parents, committee don't realise the pressures we are under. You have not failed you have succeeded by making a decision that suits you ......I do wish sometimes I was an assistant or deputy so that the stress was less x

• Like 1

I admit im a little envious too... feeling less and less happy and more and more overwhelmed with it all - and fed up with people moanin or getting on at me for bits and pieces and wondering why I dont get straight back to them with answers when I barely have a second to think during the day.

This week has so far been horrendous with yet more staff absence and working with minimal ratios - and I certainly didnt sign up to run an agency!!

Is really making me want to say someone else take it on Ive had enough.

Ive no where to go to and don't really want to leave - just want the stress to go away and to enjoy my job again.

Shellbell I definitely agree with you - there is something terribly wrong with feeling this way when its not even your own business - I think you are really brave - wish you loads of luck in your new post! :-)

• Like 2

I admit im a little envious too... feeling less and less happy and more and more overwhelmed with it all - and fed up with people moanin or getting on at me for bits and pieces and wondering why I dont get straight back to them with answers when I barely have a second to think during the day.

This week has so far been horrendous with yet more staff absence and working with minimal ratios - and I certainly didnt sign up to run an agency!!

Is really making me want to say someone else take it on Ive had enough.

Ive no where to go to and don't really want to leave - just want the stress to go away and to enjoy my job again.

Shellbell I definitely agree with you - there is something terribly wrong with feeling this way when its not even your own business - I think you are really brave - wish you loads of luck in your new post! :-)

Trekker, could be me writing exactly that

Ive no where to go to and don't really want to leave - just want the stress to go away and to enjoy my job again

With you 100%

Are we all by any chance Committee run settings??

Congratulations shell bell. Hope it all works out for u. Although I am an assistant manager and the stress lvls are sky high! An endless list of bills,parents,staff,day today issues that come up,planing,key children, observations. Oh when will it end!

Best of luck with the new job! :)

well done you :1b and tbh I really do envy you. Certainly not a failure at all - making the decision in the first place is often harder than the follow through and if you are ultimately more happy in your new role than you will be more effective and making better outcomes for your children (and your own children)

Over the last year or so it's something I've considered time and time again - the job is just no fun any more (not the setting etc just the pressures, moving goal posts, expectations etc that we all are acutely aware of!)

I agree Trekker and yourself could be speaking for me too - Time away from it is important but you feel as if you take even half a day out you pay for it in being additionally behind - preparing for a holiday takes more time than the actual time off and then the catch up is horrendous!

I get that sickly feeling though when I imagine not being here - and then a child says something to you (and occasionally a parent) and sucks you right back in and before you know it you've been a manger for 10 years!