Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child strangling others

I've got a 19 month old who grabs others round the neck and will not let go, even when they're screaming.

She knows it's wrong because she never does it in front of my, she'll take on any size child. The other children say she was playing nicely before the incidents, no signs of taking toys etc.

I've been sitting her next to me after, but she not that bothered??

Need advice please.

Oh Dear! We had a case of something very similar last year... I would suggest you put a member of staff (maybe the keyworker) close to this child at all times to try and avoid any future incidents. When that member of staff notices an incident approaching they can then divert the child. Also they will be able to make notes of the kind of situations when this behaviour occurs.

Maybe you will then work out a pattern (ABC chart). Also have you asked the child (if reasonable) why s/he is doing it?

I would also speak with parents very carefully and notify them of the behaviour and if there is any change at home and I would also inform them about what steps you will take.

Make sure you remind staff what is the way in which you want that behaviour managed and ensure everyone sticks to it. Use lots of praise when the child sorts the problems in the right way (eg. by talking).

I wonder why the child has started to do that? Food for thought...]

Hope that helps

As missdoofus says it's important an adult can keep an eye on this child at all times. When an incident occurs I would remove the child's hands off the other child without speaking to them, and then make a huge fuss of the other child that has been hurt.

If you can turn your back on the offending child while making a fuss of the other one even better!

If this is a problem at home the same technique should be used.

Oh no emeraldjan, we have the same with a pincher, no provocation at all and victims picked at random, and so quick even when being shadowed by an adult, wish I had the answer, you really want to support the child, but feel it's unfair on the others and so difficult having to apologise to parents of the children they've hurt :(

We've struggled all year with a now 4 year old hurting others unprovoked. He seems content with life and comes from a loving home. He gets attention from us, his parents, friends and sister. He speaks clearly and can be understood. He gets plenty of opportunity to move and be expressive with us. Our environment is calm and group small. We have recorded, analysed and discussed amongst us and with the mother. Yet children are whacked, slapped, pinched and pushed....

Def tricky, talked it over with mum and are working on the basis that she thinks she can do anything?? Bless her but she thinks she's invincible. So lots of jobs for her and praise when she complies. Also empowering the others that it's ok for them to tell her no too.