Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New outdoor flooring

Hello I have about 15000.00 to spend on my outdoor area. We were replacing the current safety surface but in wondering as we have a good amount of money if it could be better spent on a complete overhaul of the outdoor area.... We had a new wooden outdoor classroom 2 years ago so don't need that.

Any ideas or help?

Not sure what your outdoor area is like but we had artificial lawn laid and it is the best money we have spent - we have been outside all year round - the field we are adjacent to has been like a bog for weeks on end, yet we have been out every day. (So impressed just had it laid at home as well - no more muddy paw prints!!)

• Like 1

Hello I have about 15000.00 to spend on my outdoor area. We were replacing the current safety surface but in wondering as we have a good amount of money if it could be better spent on a complete overhaul of the outdoor area.... We had a new wooden outdoor classroom 2 years ago so don't need that.

Any ideas or help?

Oh lucky you! :1b

I can't make any useful suggestions but would say - don't go for 'bark' - we have use of a play area with bark and it's a complete pain! (the bark that is not the play area!)

Edited by sunnyday

Wow Thumper - where did you get the money??

Just to add

And I've just been given £50 by my committee for outdoors

The decisions we have to make eh?! :D

sorry -this made me chuckle !!...dont spend it all at once !

• Like 2

Not sure what your outdoor area is like but we had artificial lawn laid and it is the best money we have spent - we have been outside all year round - the field we are adjacent to has been like a bog for weeks on end, yet we have been out every day. (So impressed just had it laid at home as well - no more muddy paw prints!!)

We have a mud kitchen and wondered if this would create a slippy area on an artificial lawn? Any advice?

Thanks

Thanks everyone - I know we are very fortunate this year, but it's money we've saved and fundraised over the past few years, which is one of the reasons I asked for advice, I don't want to blow it on something that's not 100% right!

This is our chance to make a huge difference to our outdoor area which at present in just a black safety surface with an out door classroom attached to the back of the building....I am after creating something magical ?

• Like 1

Well done for all your fundraising!

Very unusually, I disagree with Sunnyday on this one! :D

We have just replaced our completely worn out lawn (I use the word 'lawn' very loosely!) with bark and it's wonderful. Having said that it's actually wood chip for children's play areas and is pale wood colour not the dark brown bark you can buy in a garden centre. Our garden was sometimes unusable in wet weather because of mud. Now, the rain drains away through the bark / wood and the top layer dries very quickly. I'd highly recommend. The area we have covered is about 20m x 10m and it cost £1000 to cover to a depth of 10cm.

• Like 1

We have just replaced our tree covered, shady mud patch (we have tried lawn for years) with artificial grass, bark and then a stone path.

It means we can have a messy area for painting and mud kitchen, a beautiful end of the garden for growing and insects, and then the grass for physical play. The stone path is great for walking on it's just like a beach as we are on a slope.

The grass was expensive, but we paid for fitting (if we'd done it ourselves it would have been cheaper) and then got the bark from a DIY store. That saved us loads.

(We saved some money last year from our funding for this - we carefully budgeted and savings like not buying so much ink as we use tapestry really helped).

post-43967-0-27584900-1402157224_thumb.jpg

post-43967-0-24356800-1402157302_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

We have just replaced our tree covered, shady mud patch (we have tried lawn for years) with artificial grass, bark and then a stone path.

It means we can have a messy area for painting and mud kitchen, a beautiful end of the garden for growing and insects, and then the grass for physical play. The stone path is great for walking on it's just like a beach as we are on a slope.

The grass was expensive, but we paid for fitting (if we'd done it ourselves it would have been cheaper) and then got the bark from a DIY store. That saved us loads.

(We saved some money last year from our funding for this - we carefully budgeted and savings like not buying so much ink as we use tapestry really helped).

This looks fantastic and the sort of thing I'm thinking. Thank you :)

Anything you'd change or of done differently?

Very unusually, I disagree with Sunnyday on this one! :D

:o WHAT - shock horror!

Not really - it is allowed you know! xDxDxD

Not sure what depth the bark is in the play area we use - probably a bit deeper I think - it gets really horrible in the wet times and has even been known to sprout a few mushrooms! :(

Very slippy when it's 'frosty' and a complete nuisance in the summer if children wear sandals :(

Apart from that it's fine! :blink: xDxDxD

• Like 1

Not sure what depth the bark is in the play area we use - probably a bit deeper I think - it gets really horrible in the wet times and has even been known to sprout a few mushrooms! :(

Ewww! Although you could check them out, then go all 'forest school' and make a mushroom omelette over a camp fire!

:D:D:D

• Like 1