Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Milk crates

We have been told that we can no longer use our milk crates in the Nursery garden and definitely can not replace those that are broken. Does anyone know health and safety view on this and where I can source low cost replacements. We are being told to provide crates for the children's creative development and they love them so why is it so difficult?

Who told you that you can't use them and what was their reason? We use milk crates, our local dairy provides them free of charge. They will even find different coloured ones for us! Bread crates are also good for play. Nursery / school suppliers sell them in their catalogues so I can't see why you wouldn't be allowed to use them.

We don't have them mainly due to storage constraints. However when I worked in a nursery in London many moons ago, we did and my lasting memory is of a little boy falling off one and almost slicing his tongue off. Of course I know the chances are he could have fallen off any piece of equipment, but my experience of this poor little chap being put back together at the hospital has left me cautious.:)

Cosydirect.com stock two types of crates. One type looks like a crate but they look purpose built so can be walked on. The other type look more like milk crates £50 for six of first type £43 for six of second type - so obviously not as cost effective as free.

At my last setting we stopped the children from standing on them, but the temptation is always strong.

Guest colechin

We have milk crates which we have picked up from here and there.

At first we found the children, especially the small ones did get their feet caught in the holes when walking on them. This did cause a few accidents but, now we have introduced scaffolding planks which have been cut down to a manageable size for the children (or 2 children) to pick up. They now lay these across the crates if they want to walk along them.

Otherwise, the children use the crates to built towers but, they love building the obstacle cause with he crates and planks of wood. We have also added car tyres, a shopping crates (the ones you have your food delivered in). We always need a member of staff observing them but, we get so many observation it makes it all worth while.

Hope this helps.