Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

school nursery reports

our SLT are trying to get reception and nursery's reports to be the same format, and i have been sent one to check. however they have put areas of learning/aspects along the side and emerging/expected/exceeding along top. this is okay for reception but not sure about us? anyone got any ideas? SLT have no idea about EYFS.

They don't in our school either!

I think last reception did that but we just had a report of brief summaries for each area of learning. We also felt saying which age bracket they were in would panic some parents, so just said what the next steps were.

i don't want to put age band they are in because some are 22-36 for some aspects .... parents aware that they have IEP's and special needs but don't want to shock them. and many of ours are below age-related expectations, as they came in well below ....

The use of emerging/expected exceeding is only for reporting the profile in F2 where it's statutory to give parents the outcome for each ELG along with a narrative on the child's characteristics of effective learning.

You can't really exceed any other stage of development as that would put the child in the next band so it's illogical to use it for nursery class reports!

Re telling parents what stage of development children are at: don't parents have a right to know what we are saying about their child? Data shouldn't be a secret surely. If there is an area of developmental delay shouldn't a parent know and also be guided in how they can help at home?

Cx

Edited by catma

We use the one county gave us. Happy to share, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to upload the document! Really annoying as I have done it in the past!

if you can it would be useful to look at. our reports are due in in a month and i can't start them until proforma sorted. and i have 31 to do and am away all half term. i should have been provided with correct information to fill in, rather than having to seek advice from you fab people. i knew the 3 E's is reception, but wanted to check. i agree catma about bands, but it will be hard .... that is not to say we shouldn't....

Who's your EYFS leader - do you have one? Could you just decide something and then present to SLT as a solution? Then everyone is getting what they want!

Cx

Edited by catma

Who's your EYFS leader - do you have one? Could you just decide something and then present to SLT as a solution? Then everyone is getting what they want!

Cx

leader is EYFS and Key stage 1, but has not worked in F1 or 2, and not up to speed with it. am going to do what i think and e-mail it to deputy who is sorting ours. key 1 and 2 templates sorted out 5 weeks ago ..... so fed up, but can move on now thanks to all advice on here

leader is EYFS and Key stage 1, but has not worked in F1 or 2, and not up to speed with it. am going to do what i think and e-mail it to deputy who is sorting ours. key 1 and 2 templates sorted out 5 weeks ago ..... so fed up, but can move on now thanks to all advice on here

I suppose they are quite happy to take the money though for (not) leading!

Glad you can see a way forward. I feel the pain - but at least you don't have to READ all the reports that are written!! That was one job I hated!!

Hi,

I'm going to go against the grain here - sorry. Last year we changed our Foundation Stage reports and did report on the three E's. So for Nursery I gave them expected if they were working within the expected age-band. So if they were working below their age-band I would give them emerging and exceeding if above their age-band. I understand what you are saying Catma but we do put in a statement that explains that it is against the expectation at the end of Nursery. This means that the reports are the same for the parents throughout the Foundation stage. Previously we have had to report Below, average and above as well as effort like the rest of the school. Our reports are never a surprise for parents, they know if they are working below or above the expected age and stage through parents evenings or extra meetings where necessary. The parents seem to understand them?

Green Hippo x

Hi,

I'm going to go against the grain here - sorry. Last year we changed our Foundation Stage reports and did report on the three E's. So for Nursery I gave them expected if they were working within the expected age-band. So if they were working below their age-band I would give them emerging and exceeding if above their age-band. I understand what you are saying Catma but we do put in a statement that explains that it is against the expectation at the end of Nursery. This means that the reports are the same for the parents throughout the Foundation stage. Previously we have had to report Below, average and above as well as effort like the rest of the school. Our reports are never a surprise for parents, they know if they are working below or above the expected age and stage through parents evenings or extra meetings where necessary. The parents seem to understand them?

Green Hippo x

seems like a good idea. as long as explanation given. did you do 3 E's for all 17 areas?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)