Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

AWOL children

How do you cope with children who just simply don't turn up?

I have two this term. One of them I can't get a hold of at all. His SEN too so hot SENTAS team on his case but it's so hard with him not legally needing to be anywhere.

Our LA will give funding for 4 weeks once notice is given but when no notice is given what do you do? I have not seen him since Feb?

One is having family issues and asked me to keep his space open but again no contact at all this half term.

Do I just contact council and say they have given their notice? Or wait?

Have you tried writing? Maybe you considered this stating that as you have not been able to contact in any other way and as the child has not attend since…. without explanation then unless they contact you, you have no choice be to withdraw the place so that it can be offered to someone else? If you can hand deliver then all the better.

It is frustrating when people do not let you know, particularly from a safe guarding stand point. I work in a nursery class as part of a school and when a child does not come and we haven't received any notice why, then we phone on the day of absence to check to make sure all is ok.

This might sound extreme......but I would be talking to my Local Safeguarding Board - I would need to 'flag this' if nothing else......

I totally agree, this would be sending alarm bells ringing for me and you have a duty of care to follow this up, especially in light of recent safeguarding cases.

• Like 1

I agree with Sunny day you never know and if someone had shouted about the little boy who was absent from his nursery, his death may have been picked up. I know parents had called saying he was unwell but he was absent for a long time.

One of them had a disability and so all professionals involved are aware as they didn't turn up for his review meeting. The lead practitioner said she could only try and make contact as he's not due to start school till sept 15. I will contact safeguarding team tomorrow but I genuinely have no concerns about his welfare etc and the family did mention they were thinking of moving in November. I have contacted them daily at first the dropped to every few days in lead up to his review to remind them. Mam has always been notoriously difficult to get a hold of. Dad is better but all contact has been ignored.

Thanks everyone

Mind you the SENTAS team said it was difficult to chase up as none professional involved (3 in total) have any safeguarding concerns as as he legally is not required to be in school, hands were tied.

Hopefully I can at least find out if they have moved or not.

Send a recorded delivery letter, advising them that the child's funding will stop if they do not return to the setting ( it can start again if/when they come back in the future). Let them know you are NOT stopping the child's place, just letting them know what the financial implications are so far as funding is concerned. You could just stick to that, or you could ask if all is well? Do they need any help??

i hate to say it but the safeguarding team will probably just tell you to report them to the police as a missing person! chase up all avenues i had one this year (similar situation) ....eventually found they had moved to Dubai! but they could have been lying dead in their beds if i had left it to the rest of the tac team!

• Like 1

i hate to say it but the safeguarding team will probably just tell you to report them to the police as a missing person! chase up all avenues i had one this year (similar situation) ....eventually found they had moved to Dubai! but they could have been lying dead in their beds if i had left it to the rest of the tac team!

I agree Fm - but I would still want to be able to say that I had 'flagged this up'

Recorded delivery letters too + a call to your EY adviser (if you are lucky enough to still have one).......

I have spoke to all professional already involved with the family because of the child's physical disabilities but they too are struggling to get in touch with them which is nothing new in all honesty.

None of us have any concerns which is why their hands are tied as he only turned 3 in Oct so not required to be in school by law so with no concerns safeguarding are not able to assist.

Will contact Ey advisor see if she can suggest anything.