Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Consultation on separate EYFS Judgements (schools)

Madmum

hi

Alistair Bryce Clegg has shared this:

http://abcdoes.typepad.com/abc-does-a-blog/2014/03/what-ofsted-are-looking-for-in-eyfs.html

At the end is the link to comment on the Consultation on separate judgements for EYFS ( and sixth forms) in school inspections.

I am slightly cross that they stopped separate judgements at the end of 2012(?) and now think it's a good idea again. It should never have been stopped in my opinion!

I feel torn. Our last but one Ofsted when there was a separate judgement as the only EY person in school I felt immensely exposed. I also felt that with my mixed YR/Y1 class and in that particular inspection I couldn't have won - I could either be good at reception or good at Y1. In fact the inspector said categorically that he didn't think the mix worked. No one else in school apart from the head really 'got' that there was a separate EY judgement.

In other words, inspectors should focus on evaluating whether children are being adequately prepared for the start of their statutory schooling.

Yet more hints at 'school readiness!

and then this, again from Wilshaw's letter

• staff have sufficient expertise to teach children basic skills in the three prime areas of learning as well as in literacy and mathematics

So what happens to creativity and understanding the world - again sidelined for a other more ' valuable' areas of learning :-(

I'm not really in favour of it. Why just one key stage to have so much attention and pressure? What about the other two?

I think this is my problem with it - in a one form entry no nursery school it would be a judgement on one teacher alone. If the EYFS in a school inspection is judged under the same framework then it should be one judgement for the institution the child will spend their EYFS/Primary school years in. It's managed by the same SLT, it's one institution.Otherwise why not separate KS1,2,3 and 4 judgements as well?

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 2

I think this is my problem with it - in a one form entry no nursery school it would be a judgement on one teacher alone. If the EYFS in a school inspection is judged under the same framework then it should be one judgement for the institution the child will spend their EYFS/Primary school years in. It's managed by the same SLT, it's one institution.Otherwise why not separate KS1,2,3 and 4 judgements as well?

Cx

That's exactly it for me. I know that in a small school a supposedly anonymous report isn't really - if there's a comment like "children in year 3 do not receive sufficient feedback on how to improve their writing" then everyone knows who it is. However, usually comments are made more general. If EYFS has a separate judgement then it's a judgement on me on my own. Fine if it's outstanding, not so much if it isn't!

I agree with Catma and Froglet. My other problem with it is that things can be highlighted as needing to improve etc in the Early Years and a grade given. However, for the 'whole school judgements' e.g. of behaviour, PSE etc they take into account the whole school not just KS1 and KS2 but the Early Years are not mentioned as contributing to these judgements.

Green Hippo x

Personally I preferred it when there was a separate judgement, as I found it made Heads ensure that early years was understood more, and even valued it more because it has its own judgement.

My worry is that now that schools can take 2 year olds without any separate reg. therefore no separate inspection, how do we ensure they are genuinely 'included' in an inspection grading without a separate one? If, and yes it may be a big 'if', it means that inspectors of schools have to have some kind of understanding of provision for two year olds, then that's a plus. I have been inspected many times by someone who hasn't the faintest idea about early years, so I would be interested to learn how inspectors are going to be trained etc to take into account the needs of two year olds. One grading across the whole school seems to lean bias towards KS2 and this is often the case when you read through reports, much more is actually written about KS1 and 2 than about the EYFS regardless of the size of them.

Small schools can be an issue, yes, but then we have schools with just two teachers, one for EYFS/KS1 and one for KS2. their reports are 'very personal'

But as with all these consultations, if you have a view, whatever it is, then respond to the consultation. There have been so many over the past few years and if the sector doesn't respond, then we shouldn't be surprised by things that come into being.

Mundia, this is my problem - I agree with you too! I'm very lucky with my Head at the moment. He's very EY friendly, went on lots of training when he first got the job and remained so even when there stopped being a separate judgement. In fact this year when I said in my performance management that it was really lonely being the only EY person in school he instigated regular EY meetings with me and him. However, I do know that not all heads are like that!

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)