Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Club and Late Club ratios

Hi! More clarification around ratios please.

My setting is a non-registered Independent school with Nursery.

Firstly, we are looking to offer extended care for Foundation Stage children from 8 a.m. to 5.15 p.m.

Staff are all Level 3.

As the two sessions are outside of the usual school day, do the same statutory ratios apply (1:4 for 2 year olds, 1:8 for 3/4 year olds) or are there different ratios for the extended day?

Thanks

I just read this in the Statutory framework....

3.37 Reception classes in maintained schools are subject to infant class

size legislation. The School Standards and Framework Act 1998 (as amended

by the Education Act 2002) limits the size of infant classes [...]

(footnote 19)Where children in nursery classes and reception classes attend school for longer than the

school day or in the school holidays, in provision run directly by the governing body or the

proprietor, with no teacher present, a ratio of one member of staff to every eight children can

be applied if at least one member of staff holds a full and relevant level 3 qualification, and (it runs off the edge of the page!)

But I work in an Independent so it probably doesn't apply. I'm going to phone Ofsted on Monday I think.

Guest sn0wdr0p

Please note that this may change soon. Govt. has just approved the changes to the EYFS and they are now working on implementing them. Some of the changes apply to foundation stage school age children and their out of school care.

Several parents can't choose our setting because they need longer days. Because we're small there aren't enough children who would come early or leave late to make it financially viable with two staff. Could perhaps child minder ratios apply during wrap-around care, i.e. one adult to a certain number of children?

Thanks all for your contributions! I spent a large part of Thursday trying to speak to someone, anyone, at the DFE about this but they were all in a meeting - long meeting - so I didn't get any answers! :) Hey-ho

Guest sn0wdr0p

I took this information from the Foundation Years website February e-newsletter.

Regulation of childcare
The government has today published its response to the consultation on the regulation of childcare.
Last year, in tandem with publishing More Affordable Childcare, the Government launched a public consultation on ‘The Regulation of Childcare’ which ran from 16 July to 30 September. They received 386 responses and held meetings with key stakeholders. The responses received have helped to shape the Government response. A copy of the consultation document, the report and Government response can be found here

The Government response outlines plans to:

• Align the staffing and qualification requirements for out-of-hours care for children in the Reception class and 5-7year-olds with those governing the school day
  • Remove the requirement for out-of-hours providers to meet the EYFS learning and development requirements for those children who are in the Reception class

Sorry I can't make a link to it -far too technical for me and sorry for taking so long to get back to you as I failed to pick up your message.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)