Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

staff terminal illness :-(

Has anyone had experience of this? I've told the other staff but havent mentioned anything to parents yet, at a complete loss, first time I've had to deal with something like this.

Yes, I have and although it was very difficult situation, handled with sensitivity and honesty helped a lot! I, with the staff member's approval, sent out a letter to all parents explaining the situation and that she would be off work for chemo etc and how we wished her well. I always kept her in touch with what we were doing while she was off and she appreciated it very much. She would be invited to the Christmas dinner etc so she felt included, although she was too sick to attend. Also we decided to do a children obstacle race which is conducted annually to raise funds for our preschool. Instead we chose to, with her support and approval, give any monies raised to the local children's cancer hospice.

I hope this helps a bit, but do feel free to ask more questions. x

I've never experienced this with a member of staff. Good advice already given and I just wanted to add my condolences but also to add that you must make sure you and the staff team get adequate support for yourselves so that you can best support everyone else.

• Like 3

We have had a staff member sadly die in the past. Honest open dialogue guided by the persons/ families wishes at this sensitive time helped all of us cope.

As HappyMaz suggests, make sure you all take care and get support too if needed.

In time we bought a beautiful bench with a plaque to be a lasting memory of a beautiful lady and friend.

My sincere thoughts to you all.

• Like 2

I have nothing extra to add to what has already been said but wanted to send my regards. My dear friend and deputy passed away last summer from a 2nd run in with cancer but it was so quick that no-one was prepared. Also it was right at the start of the summer holidays so all we could do was send a letter to the parents. We had kept all the parents up to date with her treatment progress but it was still shocking to everyone. Our early years improvement officer provided us with a bereavement box (books for children) but to be honest none of us could read them as we got too upset.