Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

learning journeys

Do you give your staff a rough out line of what you expect in a LJ? I keep coming across staff who moan about them,I give them 3 hours a week to work on them.I ask for a detailed long observation a month plus small day to day observations and we do a next steps each term plus art work photos etc?

From what I give my staff - you are generous, mine are paid one hour a week to work on them, we don't do long observations any more though, we just keep a running diary of observations of what is happening for children and from those observations make our assessments to go on to be possible next steps. Obviously there are photos to sort through and stick in. If I could pay them for 3 hours I would, because I know how long mine take!!

• Like 1

Would pay staff for all time it takes to make them. Too much money to pay staff to do them. Don't have time to do them for a third of the group because of management jobs. Don't find them essential for progressing children.

However would love to document what children say and do. We share photos, which children can talk about to their parents. But sadly we're unable to record their discoveries and experiences in writing.

it is a requirement of our funding that we complete learning journeys for each child - staff are paid time each week depending on the number of key children - we only have to do one focused observation per term which has to be linked to their next steps - the rest of obs are what they see and also obs made in small group activities which are based on next steps. x

• Like 1

Blimey 3 hours?! I'd never be behind!

We get an hour a week, then if we need a catch up, we get extra time during the school holidays when we're quieter.

Our CCT helped us design our current LJs, which are a chronological account of the children's development, including spontaneous observations, pictures, samples of work and focused observations which are done every 6-8 weeks.

We only give next steps for the "wow" moments.

Thanks everybody,I came to this setting where nothing was in place so am working from scratch and have no input from LA as they have had all their budget cut so won't drive out to me in the nursery, we are out in the country.

Have you looked at tapestry on here then at least you would all be doing the same format, you just need tablets to do it on, if you have enough funds to purchase them, everyone that uses tapestry seem to love it

• Like 1