Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Expressive thinking.

Hi I just wondered what sort of activities you may do to support children to develop their thinking skills and express their thoughts? I have some 4 yr olds that just always copy what others say and i really want to encourage them to be independent thinkers. Thanks.

We make up a story together adding on a bit each, after having determined which two or three characters that are in it (many tends to be added otherwise), and where and when it happened. If a child copies another child there isn't any plot developing, so each child has to think of something new.

At other times I just reinforce 'you' after a question, if the child copies, e.g. "but you, what do you want / did you do?"

ask them first so no one to copy!! that's what i do for 1 of mine. and do same next day for other. are they copying because they can't process/understand what they have been asked? just a thought.......

have you tried to do some voting systems? so things like do you want a story or a song? if you want a song go to the table if you want a story go to the door. Then we add up the number work out which one is bigger and they get the choice that day...this system can be used for simple choice making....sometimes worth doing a few times so that they know there is no wrong answer (i always get the staff to model too. Or you could have lots of pictures of fruit on the floor ...can they choose which one they like best (can they do this independently with a prop....or is this still too difficult)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)