Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How much is too much?

Hi everyone, :1b

I just wanted to find out what different settings do in terms of the amount of evident collected for each child in Reception?

So for example learning journeys, online learning journals, and any other work the children do.

I currently feel that I have to collect too much evidence but I could be wrong.

Thanks

I ask my staff to collect a piece of evidence per child each week for tapestry and a hard copy of work, as a minimum. However I would rather staff spend time teaching the children that feeling obliged to collect evidence, so it's a flexible approach. Sometimes it's 1,2,3 even 8 pieces of evidence for a child one week and perhaps none for another few weeks, as long as over the course of 3 or 4 weeks there is about half a dozen...it is often more like 3 or 4 per child per week but I wouldn't Ever expect that. It' s'more important to me that the staff know where each child is, what they need to work on and that I can see that in the provision.

Edited by Rufus

If you think you are doing too much, then you probably are. Remember that evidence isnt always written down, nor is it always in the form of written observations.

As Rufus said, it also need to be fluid, if you have a child that may have additional needs but you're not quite sure what, you may want to have more, especially if you are making referrals to other agencies. For other children you may need less.

Can you list what is typical for you, and then look at it and decide if its all needed, and more importantly is it helpful for understanding where children are in their learning and development and where they need to go to next? If its isnt helpful, then do you really need it?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)